Floor shifter conversion? 86 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

86OLDS

n00b
Aug 24, 2006
I'd realy like to convert to a floor shifter with bucket seats. Im not sure what to look foward to during the conversion to a floor shifter. I should be able to get a donar car for the buckets and the peices for the shifter so getting all the parts wont be hard. Is it very hard to do? Anybody know any problems that I may run into? I will be swapping in a chevy 350 so the engine will be out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It should be an easy conversion...you'll need the housing for the shifter which I think is welded to the tunnel and the shifter of course...there is a light assembly that had a fible optic light that fits into the shifter selector window that you need if you want it lit up at nite....you need to drill a hole though the tunnel and install a grommet to pass the cable through and then you'll need the cable fitting that installs with two bolts for your tanny oil pan....I'm not sure if you need a different lever to attach the cable though, I have never had a column shift.....if I missed something I'm sure someone here will fill in what I missed...

ONE EYE

Greasemonkey
Aug 24, 2006
in front of the computer...
get a floor shift column also. its a real pain when it locks you out of park, wont let you take keys out of the column cause the shifter needs to be put up in park. also, you should unplug the neutral safety switch from the bottom of the column and plug it into the floor shifter. much nicer that way...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
ONE EYE said:
get a floor shift column also. its a real pain when it locks you out of park, wont let you take keys out of the column cause the shifter needs to be put up in park. also, you should unplug the neutral safety switch from the bottom of the column and plug it into the floor shifter. much nicer that way...

the linkage from the tanny to the column is still there with a factory floor shifter. The only difference is the upper column cover does not have the tabs to install the shifter arm. If you can't remove the keys when the car is in park the bushings on the linkage assembly are worn and need to be replaced. Also if the key is worn and the column has not rotated to the lock position when you remove the key your leaving the vehicle without the steering or the ignition locked.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
If it locks up like that just grab the rotating part of your column and twist counterclockwise. that will put it back to where it would be if it was in park.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
RedHotRegal said:
If it locks up like that just grab the rotating part of your column and twist counterclockwise. that will put it back to where it would be if it was in park.

your right.....and I think all floor shifters still have the linkage to the steering column don't they?

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Ya, you can actually unhook the linkage from the transmission and up the fire wall. Then there is no weight on the column and it doesn't move as much. Worse come to worse zip tie it in the park position from the engine side of the firewall. I think thats what is done to mine.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
RedHotRegal said:
Ya, you can actually unhook the linkage from the transmission and up the fire wall. Then there is no weight on the column and it doesn't move as much. Worse come to worse zip tie it in the park position from the engine side of the firewall. I think thats what is done to mine.

Is your backup lite switch in your floor shifter? Mine is on my column so if i disconnect the link I'll have no backup lites.

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I put in a B&M prostick and removed the console. The switch is in the shifter. I'm going to switch to a HURST V-matic 2 in the spring when I put the 400 trans in.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
RedHotRegal said:
I put in a B&M prostick and removed the console. The switch is in the shifter. I'm going to switch to a HURST V-matic 2 in the spring when I put the 400 trans in.

thread highjack, lemme know if you need a shifter. I bought one 2nd hand never installed and then rememberred I want to put my 200-4r in. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor