fuel sending unit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert87ss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 13, 2010
where can i get a good fuel sending unit that wont break the bank. 2 years ago i went with a spectre, i wasn't impressed with quality, but it lasted for 2 years. i have removed all emissions and charcoal canister. i was using the 3 port sending unit and just plugged other 2 ports. fueling up was slow because it would come back out at me. and i had to leave the gas cap loose for some reason. the sending unit is actually bad ohm reading are all over the place.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
If i understand correctly you are talking about is the in tank fuel pump and fuel level sending unit.

The 3 ports on the fuel pump are supply, return, and vent. If you plugged the return and vent that explains why fuel would come out and cap needed to stay loose, with the port plugged the fuel tank would pressurize leaving only the fill neck to release pressure. Also plugging the return line is going to severely reduce the life of the pump. The return line is designed as the cooling system for the fuel pump and without return flow the pump gets hotter then it should and wears out faster.

As for an economical solution I do not know of one.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
I think you answered your own question. If it's the fuel level (meter) assembly in the tank, two years isn't that bad considering the price you paid for the Spectre unit. Yes, it's a Chinese knockoff but for $39.00 it didn't break the bank at least. Todays fuel shortens the component life incrementally. Not really sure what they make gas out of any more? The part that sucks is pulling the tank down again to replace the meter.

The most expensive Dorman unit on Rock Auto was $49.00. There's two different units, one with two outlets (Federal emissions) and one with three outlets (California emissions). Apparently they don't have an AC Delco unit in stock for the 87 Monte SS, that's what I searched, don't even know if that's the car you have. There's no fuel return on a mechanical fuel pump car. One outlet for the feed and the other for the Evap canister vent.

In either case, you need a vent line and should also have a vented cap. You could use a PCV vent or some other type of vent if you don't have the Evap any longer. You could also plum the vent hose into the base of the carburetor and burn up the vent gases, up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor