Gas Vapor Problem

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Not sure how else to title this.... theres a slight stinky gas smell inside the car while im driving.

The car doesnt have the charcoal canister or the bracket, apparently it was removed by the prior owner(s), the vent tube from the gas tank has a small K&N like filter on it, not sure if the stink is coming from that, but i would really like to solve this problem.

What i have in mind is to find a GM, DORMAN or equivelant round canister, that has just two ports(pic below), plus mounting bracket, one port used from the gas tank vent line and the other going to the carburetor, first connecting straight to the PCV valve with a "T" line so it shares it with the PCV tube at the base of the carburetor.

Im hopping that would solve the stinky situation straight up, i really want a clean smelling cabin, so any other work arounds or ideas?

If some are thinking its comming from the carburetor(SA770).... the floats are set, no leaks, not running rich, gas pressure @ 6psi, etc.

Attachments

• charcoal canister 1.jpg
    charcoal canister 1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 52
  • charcoal canister 2.jpg
    charcoal canister 2.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 52

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I used one of these on my 81. So far no smell in my garage. Im planning on putting one on the wagon this week.

1686507274605.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

83StreetMachine

Master Mechanic
Dec 16, 2011
Central NJ
I have some charcoal canisters from the numerous cars I've parted out in the past.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in going that route

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Thanks for the reply mikester... and for the offer 83SM, i'll keep that in mind.

A little story... back in the mid 90s, i had a '75 chevelle, i was the 3rd owner, complete, totally stock and unmolested, it had the charcoal canister and extra hoses for the rest of the emissions, no air pump,etc. I built a mild 355 engine, holley 3310-2, headers, true dual exhaust back to tail pipes, i removed the entire A-C box/heater/fan and had a gaping hole in the firewall, i was trying to convert it to a heater only car, no luck. I kept the charcoal canister in place, the gas tank vent tube still attached to it, no other tubing going from it to the PCV or carburetor, no stinky gas/exhaust or other smells whatsover. So im trying to figure out, whats going on, is the absence of the charcoal canister with just a filtered vent line under the hood making that much of a difference thats causing this nuesence?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor