GROSS AXIL WEIGHT RATIO (GAWR) FOR A 1987 CUTLASS 442 T TOP CAR

carman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 19, 2016
Fisher body number. Has nothing really to do with the car itself but will end up on paperwork with the car.

3GR47

P- Pontiac assembly plant

3- Olds
GR47 - 2Door Supreme notchback

31U and L is your Teal Blue Metallic color, and the 12M is the mid color, in this case the bottom color since they paint it on after they paint the blue, which is the silver. Lacquer- that's obvious.

27E - Dark blue cloth velour interior
A51- Non-reclining bucket seats
A31 (????not sure but it appears in the lower left corner). If it is A31, that's power windows.

Your car looks like mine most likely.
I had that all figured out, thankyou for confirming, but What is the six digit number on the top right? it refers to (Plant Number), my plate has 068411. is that a running number of cars assembled? which seems high for the first week of February, or is that the plant number given to that plant in Pontiac Michigan. there is another six digit number indicated on the trunk decal too.
Fisher body number. Has nothing really to do with the car itself but will end up on paperwork with the car.

3GR47

P- Pontiac assembly plant

3- Olds
GR47 - 2Door Supreme notchback

31U and L is your Teal Blue Metallic color, and the 12M is the mid color, in this case the bottom color since they paint it on after they paint the blue, which is the silver. Lacquer- that's obvious.

27E - Dark blue cloth velour interior
A51- Non-reclining bucket seats
A31 (????not sure but it appears in the lower left corner). If it is A31, that's power windows.

Your car looks like mine most likely.
hey thanks for confirming! what I cant find in all my books and literature is the six digit number that is printed or stamped on the right top of the cowl and also a different six digit number on the trunk decal. this seems to be an indication of a plant number as indicated in the fisher body manual.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpg
    IMG_1724.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1725.jpg
    IMG_1725.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1726.jpg
    IMG_1726.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1714[1607].jpg
    IMG_1714[1607].jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1715[1606].jpg
    IMG_1715[1606].jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 59

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The first line in my reply told you. It's a Fisher Body number, which is the "body number". It has nothing to do with the assembly plant process numbers. It does, but once it leaves Fisher it sorta doesn't. Since the body is set up prior to getting an assigned VIN number, the body tag takes its place since the body assembly took place first and the VIN came along shortly thereafter. A chicken or the egg thing. But if you find some broadcast sheets in the car anywhere, they usually have the body number on them as well, as well as the build sheet (different than the broadcast sheets). One problem is that Pontiac plant was a lot like Lansing plant. Very meticulous about sweeping out the cars and rarely you'll find a build sheet in the car.

The Pontiac plant was a bit odd. They'd build the bodies over at Fisher, then truck the completed body assemblies over to the assembly plant. It wasn't a cradle to grave operation.

If you still have the window sticker, there's a number near the bottom that matches the one on the trunk sticker (your number is 068774) and I've found these numbers are normally close to the cowl tag body number, but they never match. I have no idea why they don't match or what those numbers even mean.

By the way, your GAWR REAR on your decal appears to read 2286 LB/1037 KG. The very last number of your GAWR FRONT KG is ...0, and the very last number of your GVWR KG is ...7 KG. It doesn't get to the bottom of it, but at least 1/3 of the numbers on that decal will be correct for your car.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Just a suggestion. Have them use these numbers and you'll probably be ok. I even put your VIN on it.
4601/2087 2315/1050 2286/1037

87 442 GVWR 313025 DOOR JAMB sample.jpg

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor