Hang on to your back glass!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Yeah. I just sent an '85 442 to the crusher not long ago and now I'm wishing I had pulled the glass. :(

I guess your only other option would be to have a piece of glass custom made but you'd be talking big money for something like that.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
FE3X CLONE said:
Well, found a place that will actually install my stock rear glass. But that said it's likely it could break being as old as it is while they install it. So here's hoping everything goes smoothly.

They have to tell you possible issue w/ used glass and breakage, but honestly if an installer breaks a rear glass they are not an installer I would trust near any of my vehicles.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
FE3X CLONE said:
Well, found a place that will actually install my stock rear glass. But that said it's likely it could break being as old as it is while they install it. So here's hoping everything goes smoothly.
That's quite a silly thing for them to say. It's not like the glass becomes more fragile or brittle because it's 30 years old. :? It's more like a CYA so that they don't have to take any responsibility.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I've been told before that the older glass is the more brittle it becomes. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Well, fingers crossed I found a place today that can get the back glass. They were also a few dollars cheaper than the place I was originally scheduled with.
Glass gets installed next Friday. I'm still waiting for that phone call telling me they don't actually have the back glass. Lol

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have some originals down here in Cincy if you want an original one.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Well, it was too good to be true. The local Glass America called today and said that the back glass was obsolete. She said the call center must not check the availability when they make the appointment.

But they said they could install my original glass for $100. For a new front windshield, original back glass and installation they are charging $300. That's $105 cheaper than the other place I was going to use.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Part suppliers are drying up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor