HELP 4 door/wagon front window channels felts

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Before everyone attacks RockAuto, be aware that the B-body glass is taller and the top strip is not as wide as the G--body opening. I have to find these and snap a picture to support my argument.
Quinn,
The link to the run channel thread indicates the difference between the B-body Caprice and Malibu run channels. I now see the difference as Scott posted and as you mentioned. I believe the top strip is the one that can be extended without cutting and butting them together.

If you look at the forward corner of the window frame, you'll see that it's not a hard corner and the strip fits in as more of a curve, if that makes sense.
I'll ask my friend again how his fits in that corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
While I was looking over some old OEM channel today, the forward and lower angle pieces of the run channel are not as hard and pronounced as the rear portion that's butted to the vertical strip. From what I was told, and can tell, those parts of the channel can be pressed into the window frame and will eventually take set with the straight portions of the window frame. You can also use a heat gun to help soften the small angles to fit into the window frame. I'm sure with a little gentle coaxing you can get them to work. With the glass in place, it will gradually follow the shape.

My passenger side run channel is a combination of OEM vertical strip and a length of the AS#1720 for the top and forward strip. So there's a few ways to skin the cat. The driver side channel on my car is an original NOS piece. Unfortunately, the right side was no longer available, but we use and make do with what we can get.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I found the strips of glass run. No part number, but 'Made in the USA' is proudly printed on it. No luck yet on the B-body runs; the shed of many things is currently holding back on me, but my RockAuto order history shows me that I own 2 sets. 🤪
IMG_8413.jpeg
IMG_8414.jpeg

Social commentary: When I re-read the linked thread from 2013, I was impressed with the reverse engineering and constructive dialogue. That thread documents the atmosphere of the Forum 10 years ago. Hard to believe that I've been chasing the G dream so long and they still sit under car covers waiting for me to take Friday off and go play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
It's almost hard to believe that it was 10 yrs ago that we were pondering what to use for run channel replacements on our beloved G-body wagons.
I was impressed on how thorough Scott was in his research. I must say that he was very persistent and instrumental in some of the channel replacement choices. Sometimes it took purchasing various types of channel to come up with something close to the original.
It's been an interesting journey, and certainly not a waste of time.
I'm glad that we're able to help other G-body wagon enthusiasts. That's what it's all about.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
I've been following this thread and read that old one. Is there a current answer on which part numbers to get and where from? Maybe I overlooked it, but didn't seem to see a definite answer. My 4 door has mostly non existent window channels and would like to replace them some day.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've been following this thread and read that old one. Is there a current answer on which part numbers to get and where from? Maybe I overlooked it, but didn't seem to see a definite answer. My 4 door has mostly non existent window channels and would like to replace them some day.
Here's one type that you'll need. Fairchild is the company that manufactures them, but as far as I know, they don't sell their products directly to the consumer. There's several different sources. I'm not 100% certain on a 4-dr Malibu sedan what the rear door window frames use, but I'm assuming it would be the same as a wagon. https://www.crlaurence.com/All-Products/Automotive-Windows-&-Supplies/Automotive-Glass-Accessories/Run-Channels-&-Division-Bars/CRL-96"-Flexible-Flocked-Rubber-Glass-Run-Channel-for-Chevy,-Pontiac,-Olds-and-Buick-1977+-Rear-Door/p/AS172096

Last edited:
  • Useful

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
If you choose to make your own glass guides, the adhesive to secure the corner joints is 3M 8011 adhesive. It's specifically designed to bond EPDM rubber. Available on Amazon as well.

• Informative

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
so were you able to purchase from CRL?
I never dealt with them before. I just posted the information as a source for run channels. I noticed that they don't post prices, which leads me to think that they're a commercial distributor only.

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I never dealt with them before. I just posted the information as a source for run channels. I noticed that they don't post prices, which leads me to think that they're a commercial distributor only.
Well maybe I can try them for science. I am currently being "reviewed" by the log in Nazis. So if I get cleared I'll let the forum know the prices.
ALSO in the application process they asked if I plan to resell their products, I said no of coarse

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor