Head install help

purple78monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2022
so I’m running head studs on the 355 in my 78 Monte I ordered bolts originally and they sent me these instead figured they would be fine what I didn’t think of was with these would I run into issues with getting the head on between the ac box and the studs and as you guys could guess I did so my question is what do I do from here I’ve already got the drivers side done and torqued down with the studs could I take the studs out on the passenger side and just run head bolts on that side or would that be a bad idea with the studs already in use on the other side

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Pull offending studs, install head on dowels, reinstall studs, add washers and nuts... done

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Like was said. You can put the head on first, install the studs with sealant and tighten it down. for a point of reference I would not use studs on any car with fenders unless it was absolutely necessary. I didn’t run head studs on my race engines until the 565 and that was 980 hp and 800 ft/lbs with 1 4 barrel carb.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Upload a picture not shure what your issue is? if you have some double sided head bolts to sandwich a compressor bracket to? you might be stuck useing them( bolts) if the studs are sticking up to far I suppose cut the tops off with a cutoff tool ect. As far as the bolts on one side shouldn't be an issue technically .just take your time systematically tightening in sequences like 20 ft lbs at a time say your torque were 90 start at 50 all way round then got to 65 all the way round then 80 all the way round then last 90. But if you got a car that torque at say 50 you would start torque to around 40 or so then ease up a second sequence ect.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor