CUTLASS Hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
If you haven't already, change all the fluids. Drop and drain the gas tank, look in side to see the condition and clean/replace if necessary. Change the rear, trans, and obviously the oil and Antifreeze. If it was sitting for 10 plus years replace all the rubber lines ( Brake/rad/ heater hoses). Suck the master cylinder dry and refill with fresh fluid and bleed until you get clean fluid at all wheels. All of this will really help. Its a good looking car ! Cant wait to see your updates.

Reactions: 3 users

Metzger82

Greasemonkey
Dec 15, 2021
NW Ohio
Welcome from Ohio, I have heard some stories about the Rochester Dualjet being a butthead. Personally I've never had a problem with mine on my "stock" 260. I would check all your bushings too because once they're toast you may not enjoy the car as much. It looks like a good car especially with the window banner. But I personally would keep that sucker Oldsmobile powered, like a torquey 455.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MichaelLubelski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2022
South Bend, IN
Update! :

This is how much progress that we’ve made since the end of last august. Ask questions and I will likely reply.

57F6274C-3F3D-47B9-BF8F-4B68E0380AEB.jpeg
A5C24002-BAD9-4851-820F-05DE0E6E5660.jpeg A0355519-3DE2-4476-8248-0EE26FA874B4.jpeg F07AD2DD-823D-431F-A2B5-09A1E2F07FE0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Welcome to the GBodyForum!
Looks like you have a great car to start with. And a good attitude! I'm guessing after looking at that car since you were 6, it has grown on you and got your mechanical gears going.
Dependability first. Cosmetics next. Keep going at it and keep us updated.

Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Welcome, looks like she is heading in the right direction for sure

Reactions: 1 user

PJNJ201

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 9, 2021
Update! :

This is how much progress that we’ve made since the end of last august. Ask questions and I will likely reply.

View attachment 197275 View attachment 197276 View attachment 197279 View attachment 197280
Good looking car bud. 12 years ago when i was your age, i had a 1986 monte carlo ss that me and my father were working on, and it started out just this way. Listen to what these guys are telling you. You clearly have the drive to do this, and an excellent vehicle here to do. Be patient, and remember, cosmetics come last. You dont wanna be doing big work to the car with a fresh paint job.

How does it look underneath? ( frame, etc) Underneath the carpet? (floor pan)
One of the first things i did with my current car ( 1984 Regal ) was rip up the old carpet and repair the few small rust spots on the floor.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy! Keep us all updated and we will all be glad to help you get that car where it needs to be.

Reactions: 2 users

MichaelLubelski

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 19, 2022
South Bend, IN
Good looking car bud. 12 years ago when i was your age, i had a 1986 monte carlo ss that me and my father were working on, and it started out just this way. Listen to what these guys are telling you. You clearly have the drive to do this, and an excellent vehicle here to do. Be patient, and remember, cosmetics come last. You dont wanna be doing big work to the car with a fresh paint job.

How does it look underneath? ( frame, etc) Underneath the carpet? (floor pan)
One of the first things i did with my current car ( 1984 Regal ) was rip up the old carpet and repair the few small rust spots on the floor.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy! Keep us all updated and we will all be glad to help you get that car where it needs to be.
The frame was in surprisingly good condition but the floor not so much, I don’t have pictures of after we welded a bunch but I have the before pictures we had to weld a bunch into the floor

72F5FA59-6CF0-43B2-92FB-EFB450EE4C1D.jpeg EA528675-E977-49C3-874B-0303111EACC7.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Welcome to GBF from Seattle, Wa.
I drive a '78 GMC Caballero, and a '79 El Camino.
You've got a good, straight looking car to start with. Should be easy to get it to where you want it. You are wise to begin with the safety repairs, then on to dependability and performance repairs/upgrades. Lastly Interior/exterior cosmetics.
Keep us updated, and get pics of everything you do to her as you progress.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor