Help choosing new coils front and rear

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
just one more hijack, I came across this picture with the nose modified but before I painted it. I had eibach springs in her at that point with the tall lower ball joint..I still have the eibachs if anyone is interested in them

normal_P1000856.JPG

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I don't mind the highjack at all. It's good to see updates on your projects.
I'd love to just find replacement springs without much other modifications.
Would the 5660 set my front too high? If so, I just remove and cut off 3/4 of a coil?
what spring spring on the rear would match this?
I think a stiffer spring would be a good idea, since I live near The Tail of the Dragon and really like the way this car sticks the corners as it is.
Thanks for the input guys..
I

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Be careful about cutting springs. There is no "cut this much and get that much drop" formula. Every car is different and someone else's results may not be what you get. You really need to cut a bit, then check, then cut more, check, etc until you get what you want. I know it's a lot of work but that's the only way to do it right. I used '77 TA front springs in my '81 Malibu w/Pontiac 400 and it needed 3/4 of a coil cut to get the height I wanted, which was about 3" higher than stock.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
I do kind of agree with you that there is no set formula regarding the cutting of springs. It is trial and error. However, you can get a basic idea from someone who has used the same springs in a Malibu or Lemans using the same engine, etc. and how much they actually had to trim theirs to achieve a given ride height.
The 5660 might provide a nice ride height as is. And again, you have to consider time to settle.

Kent,
I've heard great things about the fabled Tail of The Dragon. My friend up in NY always tells me how he'd love take a cruise on that road.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
someone on here posted that the 5660 would drop the car 2" with one coil cut off so I took that info I cut 1/2" coil and the car did drop about an inch. I let it settle and cut 1/4" off a coil and with the tall ball joint looks like it sits like it should with 2 1/4" drop. I have recently relocated my battery and intend to take off more front end weight so I'll be cutting the springs another 1/4 coil to keep my front end geometry the way I want it. There is one other aspect that affects the ride height is when a coil is cut the spring rate increases so when I'm cutting the 5660 another 1/4 coil it probably won't drop the 1/2" so I might be trimming it a little more

there is another brand of springs that gives you more options than moog...

http://www.hypercoils.com/PDF/Parts_List_2011.pdf

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
"you can get a basic idea ", You are correct Jack, it will probably be close to what others have experienced. But I have seen where someone did it "just like so-and-so said" and the drop was more than expected. Now you have to buy new springs and start all over. I always advise my friends to be cautious about cutting springs and to do it slowly and methodically, since it's a bitchy job and you don't want to do it twice.

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
It may be impossible to tell, but what springs would have been installed originally?
Are all new springs powder coated? Paint looks good for a few months, then it disintegrates.
I'd like to get something ordered in the next week or so.
Several projects on the car will be complete (one rymes with Alpine)and the springs are next in line, followed by reclining bucket mechanisms for both seats.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I once took some '68 Buick springs to a spring shop and the guy cleaned off the end of a coil and found a number. He matched that up to a new set. I think very few springs come powder coated, probably high end ones only. You are right about the paint, and so I spray them with rattle-can epoxy which lasts a good while. If you want the exact same stock springs I'm sure ESPO http://www.springsnthings.com/general-motors-suspension-partscan hook you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor