HELP!!!!! Loud Humming Noise**SOLVED**

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Las Vegas (Cali at Heart)
Its a 2001 Olds Aurora V6 runs good but there is a loud annoying humming noise coming from the rear of the car. First thought was that it was coming from the fuel pump. NOT THE CASE!!! I started the car and then went to hunt for the sound.

Its coming from above the muffler on the passenger side. The pictures i have suck sorry. But its not like theres much space around it.

I rarely take my cars to the shop since im sure i could handle most normal repair jobs myself. But this is annoying me and i dont have any of my norrmal old timers around to ask questions since I moved so hoping to get some answers here.

I think im just gonna take it in and have them diagnose the problem.

Will try to post a video of the sound and possible better pics tmrw!

88583ad5.jpg

4507a589.jpg

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Re: HELP!!!!! Loud Humming Noise

Climbed back under this morning where it was better lighting and discovered that the noise is comming from what looks to the the air compressor for the rear shocks. Next question, Is that humming a sign of soon to be failure or a problem elsewhere, gonna do a soap and watercheck on the *bladder* portion of the shock. but even if there is a leak. I still don't think the pump should be that loud. I know original oldsmobile and buick owners would have a fit of any loud noises with their cars!!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Re: HELP!!!!! Loud Humming Noise**DISCOVERED**

there must be a fuse or a relay for the compressor so why not remove the fuse or relay to see if the hum goes away.

lildudefl

Master Mechanic
Aug 25, 2011
Re: HELP!!!!! Loud Humming Noise**DISCOVERED**

Well went and purchased new air shocks after the old ones failed the soapy water test. After install i drove the car about 15 miles and what do ya know, NO HUMMING!!!!! Definitely glad i got the problem solved. and learned a few new things also. I was gonna sell this car but after all the work i have been putting into it, might as well drive it for a while 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor