Help Needed: 87 Cutlass supreme (newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronCastKnight

Apprentice
Sep 8, 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Whatever you do, keep your hands out from under the hood. I was like you once, perfectly content with the idea of a slow comfy cruisin' car... and then I changed the spark plugs. Now I'm building a high-performance Rocket 350 and transforming my Cutlass into a muscle car. Learn from my mistakes.

DirtyO'LgrannyGbod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2013
IronCastKnight said:
Whatever you do, keep your hands out from under the hood. I was like you once, perfectly content with the idea of a slow comfy cruisin' car... and then I changed the spark plugs. Now I'm building a high-performance Rocket 350 and transforming my Cutlass into a muscle car. Learn from my mistakes.

i love the way the car drives and wont be touching the stock olds engine....i think the farthest id honestley go is 15" rims and mayyyybey possibly exhaust ..but nothing more, the car runs great ...id like to keep it as a daily everyday driver, and not even that!!! i wana keep them k's low(toronto canada) to be honest...exhaust and rims will come in time....i just plan on enjoying this car, as the way she sits, as is....a cutlass supreme, cloud on wheels!

only things changed are stereo & steering wheel and tints....other than that its a clean 87..

cheeers boys ...

DirtyO'LgrannyGbod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2013
hey guys..im in an another jam here so here goes hope you all can help me out.. :(

hi their i have a 1987 cutlass supreme rwd 305. 5.0L all original small block olds canadian 91thousand original ks on original engine..

recentley their has been starting issues...keep in mind my oil/choke light comes on when i try to start the car

so just the other night i filled up at the gas station..came home sat in the driveway let the car idle for 4mins..all of a suden the car shut off ..and wont start again..

Previouse issues just before this:
just before this i noticed the car would start great the first time..id run into the store or wherever for 6mins and the car wouldnt turnover and keep running ..it seemed like it would be starved of fuel..the only way to get it to start up and run is if id pump the gas pedal several times and it would then run okay ...

that being said i thought it was either spark problem or fuel problem ,,i leaned toward spark prob..so i changed the following with upgraded parts:
spark plugs/ spark plug wires,
distrib cap
coil
and still the same issues

so i then changed the carb fuel filter..the only thing is, i didnt check to see for blockidge..tht i will do tomorow..

but i do know the carb is getting fuel as my old man cranked the car as i was watching the fuel line to the carb gush out gas when i was changeing the carbs fuel filter
so im guesseing i can rule out the fuel pump ??

should i be blowing threw the filter pasage way on the carb itself to see if its blocked? the carb is all original from factory ..same as the car itself nothings was touched in the engine bay only the folowing things i changed thus far

That being said..it it turns out to not be blocked...
what could be goin on?
i just want my classic to be normal again .. :(
help me out all cutlass gurus :(

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
No, it sounds like the fuel pump is going. Could also be rotted lines near the tank. The 305 is a chevy motor, came factory. If you fill the oil in the valve covers, it is a chevy.

DirtyO'LgrannyGbod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2013
olds307 and 403 said:
No, it sounds like the fuel pump is going. Could also be rotted lines near the tank. The 305 is a chevy motor, came factory. If you fill the oil in the valve covers, it is a chevy.

okay cool glad you cleared that up for me...305 chevy thing lol

i cleared the fuel inlet leading into the fuel filter in the carb itself so i know thts not blocked with debris

okay so the car does want to start somewhat!!! it will only slightley run if i depress the gas pedale to the floor though and even then itl run like SHiiiiiiiit very bad slugish...only did it once didnt want to do it again..it does seem like its starveing for the fuel..i guese its not getting the right amount :wtf: :?:

is that a telll tale sign of the fuel pump is on its way to goin :?:

im comeing from the vw efi field and this is my first carbd car so im still learning lol

all help greatley appreciated... :( just want my cutty to be back to normal :s

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Make sure new filter is in right way around, all new wires are booted properly and in the correct order. How is the choke operation?
Beauty car, hope you can keep it off the road during the shitty winters :D

DirtyO'LgrannyGbod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2013
mr evil said:
Make sure new filter is in right way around, all new wires are booted properly and in the correct order. How is the choke operation?
Beauty car, hope you can keep it off the road during the shitty winters :D

hey all just an update..its been awhile since i posted ever since this problem with the car occured...in the end i did take the carb off and got it rebuilt..put it back on and it fired right up :) still needs abit of tweeaking...jeeeeeeezs these carbs are real finnicky and tricky to tune the littlest thing would efffffffffffff them up ...anyhow im pleased to say shes back on the road running great...only after takeing it to a good friend of mine< selmon from selmons exhaust in toronto canada..awesome guy knows his carbs :)
also threw the car on the lift and my cat was glowing red..so we just cut that off and ran straight pipe as the cars an 87 and doesnt need to be emision tested anymore..sounds abit beefy..will be upgradeing to flowmasters later in time as the old stock muffler is rotting and as the gutts are rummbling
got a set of rims and tires ....picture of the test fit,,makeing sure everything clears 8)
fatty2_zpsaf31bca1.jpeg

im still however on my olds spokes enjoying them all i can till i decide to throw the new rims on

love my car .....i wouldnt trade her for anything else :)

thanks for all the help guys

DirtyO'LgrannyGbod

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2013
bugsyroo01 said:
Man post a better pic of the rims n tires!

just an update,,,havent posted in awhile..anyhow..just put dual flowmasters and my wheels and called it quits just rolled 93k's ..this is as for as shes goin to be molested..
i love my cutlass and i wouldnt trade it for anything in the world..i still havent figured out a name for her :|
anyhow my flame suit is one because i know theirs plenty of the haters in this small world..i think the wheels look great and im not trying to pleaaase anyone but myself. and ive done so already...

sunday morning ..MGD in hand watching my baby from the front porch with a phat one rolled.

ive always watched this car close to four years just sitting beside the barn....and now i finnaly have it...i love you cuttty!!! :roll:
grrr_zps702ad385.jpg

samantha_zps25517156.jpg

cuttright1_zpsb1ed8075.jpeg

hljgljh_zps4bf9f2ff.jpg

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
The rally's look really good on there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor