Help! Q-Jet gas leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I recently removed my q-jet to clean it up a little. I Didn't take it apart. I just cleaned it up and bolted it back on. Now when I start it up there is a good amount of gas shooting out of the float vent tubes. I just removed the air horn and the float didn't seem to be stuck down. What should I be looking for, or how can I fix it? It's a "75 divorced choke non-ccc chevy carb. Maybe taking the top off freed up the float, but before I put it back together I'd get some advise. Thanks

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Just clean the needle and seat and put it back together-without turning it upside down. Be carefull to clip the needle spring on correctly.
P6100080.jpg

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
What does turning it upside down do? I read not to do that somewhere and I'm pretty sure I didn't. I did have it on it's side tho. I have a new float and needle/seat. I have a rebuild kit actually, but Not sure if I can rebuild one or not. I'm kind of intimidated by it. Do you think some dirt got in the needle and seat?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I don't know why because when you look at it there doesn't seem to be enough room for the float to open and unseat the needle enough to get stuck in the open position. Nevertheless, it HAS happened to me on many occasions so I just make it a golden rule to never turn one over. I'm sure Pontacgp has experienced this too and that's why he asked you.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Not on my car but I have seen that hanger end up on the bottom of the stop and of course the engine flooded and the only way I can see that happening was someone turned that carb over. My friend was one of those who thought turning a carb upside down isn't a problem. He doesn't think that any longer...

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
Thanks a lot guys. I'll hopefully get to it soon. I finally replaced the starter and right away have another problem! Should be an easy fix at least.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I took the air horn off the needle was clipped on right. I took the pin out holding the float and removed the needle and cleaned it off. I put it back together and made sure to clip the needle on right. I fired it up. It ran for about 20 seconds then reved it slightly and it died a few times. Then when I restarted it it flooded again and gas came out the vent tube in front of the air cleaner stud. I don't see what else causes this. The rebuild kit I have is for a different q-jet. The gaskets for the air horn is different. Can I use the needle and seat with that kit or are they different? I also bought a float when I got that kit for a 1981 non ccc q-jet w/ electric choke. would that float work, or should I forget that one and just rebuild the '81. What's the diff in the two. It seems like there is another chamber in the front of the main body of the newer carb. Is one better than the other? Kinda long post I know. Thanks.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The float/needle/seat is all that keeps the fuel from flooding. Something is being overlooked. Try this site to see what parts belong on your carb. The needle/seats are pretty much universal.http://quadrajetparts.com/index.php Sounds silly, but did you verify the float level?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I would rebuild the 81 carb, unless you like no choke. Do you still have th 307 in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor