Help! Vortec head with stock manifold problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
Could these work? I found them on eBay. They are for a 69 to 72 chevy truck. They angle back but I'm not sure it will still clear the frame. Otherwise I'm gonna give the vortec manifolds a try. At least for the passenger side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 339

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I have a pair of Jeg's G-body headers I bought in 2006. Well, the Malibu project evolved over time, and I discovered the hard way that they are not compatible with the manual linkage. But, if you're running an automatic, they fit. I just went out to the garage, hung the headers on a Vortec 350 I have on a stand, and yup, all the bolt holes line up, no problem, for $143, free shipping [30060]. You can also get the entire kit: crossmember, dual 2-1/2" pipes, and headers for $579, one version for TH350 and the other for 700R4 [30060K1, 30060K2]. I assume you have to run manifolds for a reason, but if you can do headers, these may solve your problem. [The image is my 400 with S/R Torquer heads, but you can see the interference problem. And, you can see that I cut off the flanges BEFORE I had identified the problem. Now I have sandblasted + VHT-painted art.]

ssn696

PS: the ram's horn manifolds don't fit the Malibu crossmember or steering.

[attachment=0]IMG_2503.JPG[/attachment]

Attachments

• IMG_2503.JPG
    IMG_2503.JPG
    467.4 KB · Views: 327

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
G_Body_Enthusiast said:
jrm81bu said:
The driver side has the egr tube. I honestly have no idea if they fit or not. If they do great, but it would be nice if he can find a set to try first or if someone has used them for sure.

doesn't matter, he only mentioned the passenger side manifold giving him a problem, he could replace just that one.

Ah I see what your saying. That could work. I'd still rather have something that was the same side to side but that would get it done.

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I had an 88 cutlass that I put manifolds from a 78 or 79 4wd chevy truck with a 350. It cleared. I think I'm just gonna look for those. I didn't think they had the 6 bolt manifold but it looks like in pics they do. I looked up manifolds for a 78 el campion with a 350 and the pics on the parts site looked like the same ones I used. And didn't look like 7 bolt manifolds. Can anyone verify this. They are $90 and $125 for them new though. The local scrap yard said they don't have anything that old. I read on a Camaro site that the vortec manifolds are to wide to clear the frame. It might be a different story for a G body though. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks for the advice

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
Found a manifold for $15 from the exhaust shop in town. He couldn't find a drivers side to match. He said he would just change the passenger sine manifold and leave the drivers side as is even though they are different. I'll post pics after I get it all finished up. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 255

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Glad you found a solution, Brett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor