Help with wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGeorge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks guys, loving the ideas, keep em coming. What wheels do you think would look good?

Honestly I do like the hub caps but with the 14" tires I'm not getting any traction at all. All I have is a slightly mild Olds 350 with 3.42's and posi. It'll get side ways real easy. 18"s do look good as I can have more meat on the tires but we live in a world where bigger (not always) is better.

Still the biggest I would run would be 20" which I know a lot of purist will hate. I'm looking for a wheel that will look just as good today as it will 20 years from now. I don't plan on changing out ever unless its the stockers.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
You don't need 18's to have the tire "bigger". If traction is the problem, you need wider. A larger wheel may detract from that, as the sidewall of the 18 inch tire is shorter. With a shorter sidewall you get less twist or flex of the tire which can aid in losing traction. Maybe a good old set of 15's would do the trick.

http://www.specialtywheel.com/product-showcase/oldsmobile/olds-ssiii.html

These repro's come in Gold, Silver, and Black accents.

Hutch

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Put some 255/50/14 or similar on the back, you'd get better traction w/o the crazy price
Of new wheels. Just an idea :)

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio

BigGeorge

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2010
Thanks guys. I like the stock rallies but I'd prefer something more along the lines of the Boss 338 or Showwheels Streeter in black. What was throwing me off was the red interior. Sometimes I wish my interior were black and I would do a gunmetal or gray (wheel). All I need to do now is figure out the backspacing and I'll be set.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Well, you know what opinions are like..... My opinion is on our cars 18" is as big as I would go. When you get to 20's it starts to look out of place on our body styles. It may look ok on a 2013 Camaro, but it looks too big on ours (again, my opinion). Check the guys at pro-touring on my previous post. It lists working sizes and backspacing from people running them.

In the end it's the same as asking me what hair cut you should get. I may say mohawk, but you gotta look in the mirror and like it. If you've seen a G-Body with 20's and loved the look....get um, and screw me and my opinion. If everybody picked the look of their car by committee it would be a dull world. Do what makes you happy and screw the consensus I say. Find the size and backspace you need and giddy-up!

Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor