Holley Sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Just a little rant. :D The last Blue pump I had the regulator that came with it hardly ever held it's set pressure. A lot of times i'd have to turn it on and off 6-7 times to get it to "catch". Then it finally burnt up. I got another pump and regulator earlier this year(I think it was), and now I see the regulator is leaking gas at the top rght underneath the lock nut for setting the pressure. What a kick in the d(@&. Oh well if it ain't one thing it's another. But I think i've hit my limit of Holley regulators.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
I think i'm gonna try and go for a slight upgrade. I figure if I have to spend the money, i'm gonna go with a return style regulator this time. I haven't got around to plumbing my 1/2" feed line yet so while i'm at it, i'll just run the 1/2" or maybe 3/8" return line also.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Try the Magnaflow pump................They are costly but I hear nothing but good things about them....I'm running the eddy performer rpm mechanical pump and don't need a regulator...Trouble free!! 8)

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Yea that pump sucks and dead heading it often makes them loud, short lived, and problematic. Will a GN/Ttype/TBI Monte tank fit your car? If so you could upgrade to a safe quiet intank pump that often out lives your car or motor. I had great success with the Malory 4309 return style adjustable fuel pressure regulator. www.racetronix.com click the Buick GN pumps and you can find a plug n play setup that will feed 600HP even with just a 3/8 line. You can get new tanks with fuel pump hanger/sending units at ebay motors cheap.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Vern, how did I know you would post that, lol. All that is way too expensive for me. I'm already running a cell and between the two pumps and regulators i've only spent $75. The pump is ok this time but the regulator is leaking. I'm at least planning the return style to help make the pump live and to possibly cure any heat related fuel issues. The pump will get upgraded when it goes out next time, if the funds permit, if not then it will be replaced with the first cheap thing I can afford. The 1/2" line is preperation for E-85, to help with the extra flow.
JBreu, I used to run that same mechanical pump, until it started to not keep up. It didn't stop pumping completely just didn't pump the capacity it used to. I already had the Blue pump laying around and was broke, so I went with what I had.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Forgot you already have a cell & missed that your pump is good just a bad regulator. I once ran across a tank & sender out of an 84 T type free and have seen a 4.3 tbi MC in a salvage yard where I probably could have gotten tank and pump hanger/ sending unit for next to nothing so sometimes you can do it on the cheap. Anyway I do think a return style regulator will help your pumps live and also with noise keeping the fuel cool. I must sound like a broken record on the fuel system thing. Its just so many people do an old school cobbled up fire hazard conversion when had they known they could do better for less work & money they would have.

varns1985442

Apprentice
Jul 1, 2010
SD
You can get rebuild kits for the pumps for like $40 as long as the motor didnt burn up. I rebuilt a holley red a couple of years ago and it was pretty easy

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
A lil repetitive Vern, lol, but if it helps someone else that sees it, then it's worth it. If I wouldn't have already had the pump and the intentions of changing my fuel line anyway, I may have ran down some stock fi parts. Actually I most likely would have just gotten a new mechanical pump and called it a day. I don't think my set up is any less safe than stock, not now anyways. Nothing is any more rearward than the stock tank was. The only additional thing i'd like to add would be a mercury switch.
Ya I knew the pumps are rebuildable but the last one the motor went out, go figure. It wasn't too old but the last owner had mounted it under the hood of a 3rd gen Camaro almost as high as the carb. So I knew it had already had a rough life, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor