How To: Camaro Rear Disc Brake Swap to G-body Axle

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I like your solutions and will probably implement them myself. I like the 'T' shock relocation brackets.

View attachment 144642
Yep, RA has the Dorman pieces. I previously had to find them on Amazon. And I'm glad I ordered two sets as they must have been old - two of the four tore as I stretched them over the levers. Hopefully these have more integrity.
Ths shock relocation bracket i used on the 7.5 was very flimsy. Make your own of thick stock. It pivots when the shock moves up and down since only one bolt holds it at the dif bracket and one at the arm pivot point. I made my own for my S60 with two bolts holding it in place instead of triangulation one.

Attachments

• Shock Mount Bracket (2).jpg
    Shock Mount Bracket (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • RearShockMount2.jpg
    RearShockMount2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 50
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I did this swap over the winter when I had the 8.5 rebuilt. Fast forward several months now... the brakes work fantastic, but the guy who rebuilt the rear got the pattern too tight I think. It whines at highway speed, goes away with foot out of it. Few install pics...
20221204_121510.jpg
20221204_195448.jpg
20221206_194611.jpg
20230105_201126.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
I did this swap over the winter when I had the 8.5 rebuilt. Fast forward several months now... the brakes work fantastic, but the guy who rebuilt the rear got the pattern too tight I think. It whines at highway speed, goes away with foot out of it. Few install pics... View attachment 228822 View attachment 228823 View attachment 228824 View attachment 228825
where did you get the backing plate/parking brake parts?

In my seemingly hours of searching I had concluded that those parts could only be found used except the rotors/caliper. I've resigned to getting a wilwood kit (eventually), but this could potentially be a lot more affordable for similar performance.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY

In my seemingly hours of searching I had concluded that those parts could only be found used except the rotors/caliper. I've resigned to getting a wilwood kit (eventually), but this could potentially be a lot more affordable for similar performance.
Was able to snag from a junkyard car last fall. Anything 98-02 is the same. Also look into the blazer rear brakes, similar setup and usually easier to find in the yards. Pull a part had a couple camaro's land. I bought new parking brake pads from autozone.

Reactions: 2 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY

You can get new backing plates from Hawks third gen. They are cast iron instead of stamped steel. I bought my complete set off Ebay from someone in Las Vegas. They literally looked brand new. Was well worth the $300 he was asking for the buy it now option

Reactions: 2 users

81camel

Apprentice
May 16, 2023
You can get new backing plates from Hawks third gen. They are cast iron instead of stamped steel. I bought my complete set off Ebay from someone in Las Vegas. They literally looked brand new. Was well worth the $300 he was asking for the buy it now option
this one here?

So would I be correct in assuming, all else I would need is these parts?
Shoes - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...+3Z/rvE8ZP0rfRMuda0aOpSK1C0oZQETTgcf3aRZzenlV
Shoe Hardware Kit - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=2023766&cc=1379976&pt=10289
Disc/Rotor/Caliper Kit - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinf...+3Z/rvE8ZP0rfRMuda0aOpSK1C0oZQETTgcf3aRZzenlV

and then I guess a parking brake cable and a way to mount it properly?

I also see you guys relocating the shock. I plan to eventually do coilovers - https://www.umiperformance.com/home...-body-rear-coilover-kit-bolt-in-2-3-lowering/
think there would be clearance issues with these?

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
That's most of it. You didn't list the parking brake levers or the center of the adjuster though. Those are just the first items I see that are missing. Given that you're concerned about the ebrake, as was I, check these out.

The other benefit is that you would get many other parts, like the e-brake cable brackets. I used those to mount my stock g body cables and then made an adapter to mate the g body cables to the f body e-brakes. Has worked great

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'm not positive. Once I realized some of the smaller items I needed weren't easily available, buying a really nice used set became the easiest, quickest, and in the long run, the cheapest option.

Last edited:

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I'm guessing those aren't parts you can buy new, are they?
The backing plates, brake shoes, rubber boots are readily available. I bought a complete Camaro rear end to use the brackets, cables and brake system.
I'm not positive. Once I realized some of the smaller items I needed weren't easily available, buying a really nice used set became the easiest, quickest, and in the long run, the cheapest option.

Attachments

• rear1.jpg
    rear1.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 41

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor