how to convert car 3 wire to 1 wire alt

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you can hide it I guess....personally I would leave it available so if you ever need it it's there

CALI-WAGON_09

Apprentice
Feb 2, 2009
Los Angeles,CA
btw I currently have a 10si 120amp 3 wire installed and when i start the car the alt squeals like a water pump and takes 15 to 40 seconds to reach over 14volts. Also when I turn on my lights the volts drop to 12 and it starts squealing again. can anyone tell me what they think it is?? :(

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
belt may be slipping....you do realize amps and volts are two different things...the higher amps won't increase the volts or make them kick in any sooner...

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
pontiacgp said:
googled = you only need to retain the "BAT" wire. The #1 & #2 terminal wires can be eliminated. Don't be surprised to find that the #2 wire only goes a short way into the harness and spliced into the "BAT" wire.

You'll probaly want to keep the #1 wire tho for your warning lite or gauge

The one wire needs a small voltage to excite it, if it doesn't get it, it'll never start to charge. If you just run bat voltage to it, it'll burn up the alternator. When you have the idiot light/guage, it it hooked up to the excite wire of the alt so when you start the car, the field wire gets switched 12vdc, and the excite get a small voltage, and the alt starts putting out. thats why you need a self exciting voltage regulator to just run on wire.

IMO, keep it stock and get a bigger alternator, they are made by all sorts of people.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
liquidh8 said:
pontiacgp said:
googled = you only need to retain the "BAT" wire. The #1 & #2 terminal wires can be eliminated. Don't be surprised to find that the #2 wire only goes a short way into the harness and spliced into the "BAT" wire.

You'll probaly want to keep the #1 wire tho for your warning lite or gauge

The one wire needs a small voltage to excite it, if it doesn't get it, it'll never start to charge. If you just run bat voltage to it, it'll burn up the alternator. When you have the idiot light/guage, it it hooked up to the excite wire of the alt so when you start the car, the field wire gets switched 12vdc, and the excite get a small voltage, and the alt starts putting out. thats why you need a self exciting voltage regulator to just run on wire.

IMO, keep it stock and get a bigger alternator, they are made by all sorts of people.

it's not my choice...the op wants to go with a one wire alternator which does not need a wire to excite the alternator to start it charging... the regulator takes care of that

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I know the one wire doesn't, just saying for converting and existing 3 wire, to a one wire. removing a 3 wire and dropping a one wire is simple, as you stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor