How To Swap Buick V6 3.8 to SBC 350

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
theres a hole in the front of each side of the frame, you have to stick a long wrench in there to hold the nut and just zip the bolt out

Reactions: 1 user

neller840

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2011
The bolt is actually on the inside of the crossmember, and the nut is on the outside on the motormount. I'll take some pics tonight to show you. On top of that issue one of those access holes(driverside) has the gas line comming out of it. Granted I have to move it to the passanger side to line up with the V8 setup.. Ugh...

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Motor mounts are kind of a pain until you get the hang of them.
The access holes allow you to get a couple loose, but there's no need to take it all apart again.
Use a long extension and a swivel socket and sneak up underneath to hold the bolt. Do not try to spin the bolt, the socket will just slip off, causing endless frustration.
Hold the bolt and loosen the nut from above with a wrench

Colindunn

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 31, 2012
I understand how to everything. BUT, I have the 3.8 v6 with a saginaw 4 speed swapped. now, with that transmission what do I need to change? do I just need a SBC bell housing, the motor mounts, and engine? or am I missing something,

Nozer

Greasemonkey
May 7, 2011
Macedon , NY
i swapped a few sbc's in g bodies and the motor mounts are a pain but if you tape a nut tp a wire and feed it in the access holes they can be swapped in about 15 minutes, wish i thought of it the first swap i did, coul've saved an hour or 2 of frustration ..lol

zeebo

n00b
Jan 6, 2013
i think most of the questions on here are about motor mounts, so ill try and clear some stuff up. one needs to be specific about "motor" and "frame" mounts. you can get the sbc clamshell "frame" mounts new, but the "motor" mounts i dont believe you can..that being said, truck "motor" mounts raise the engine about 1" higher than car mounts, so if getting a sbc from a truck, you will need car motor mounts for it to sit right. i would believe that caprice and camaro motor mounts would work, as well as any g body that had a sbc from the factory.

May 20, 2013
hello, i have this already swapped in my 84 cutlass and was wondering if the sensor wires ( coolant temp sensor and random wires running around the engine bay that lead to nothing) could be removed...guy before me swapped it (cut some corners) and plan on doing a wire tuck, i dont have the nice dash cluster ,just idiot lights that dont work.... could i remove those? have an hei distributor also and just dont want the car the not start lol, any help would be great thank you....

Mar 17, 2012
Rock Hill SC
i swapped in a tbi 350/700r4 and computer/ harness out of a 1989 c1500. i know i need to have the drive shaft shortened but i am not sure how much i need taken out. can anyone tell me how much i need to have the original drive shaft shortened swapping from a 3.8/auto 3 speed to 350/700r?

EuroCutty87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 12, 2013
i have an 87 cutlass and was considering this swap. besides the cost of the engine, transmission, and rear end, how much ideally should i account for to set aside to finish the swap?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor