Hurst Lightning Rods

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Question is, are they 3 speed or 4 speed version? 3 speeds usually trend less than the 4 speed Hurst Olds version. They look like 3 speed version to me but it’s tough to tell. Unless you’re using an OD trans, the 3 speed would work for your current setup.

I've always wanted these, they're never up for sale, and they were fetching this price 15 years ago so I foolishly jumped on them without making sure.

Whatever they go in they'll be the reason I build another $3k 4L65e, and I'm not even done with the first one so it'll probably be a while.

I hear there's also a 4 stick version that allows the use of neutral and reverse through bypassing the other linkage, and a setup for 3 speed transmissions. But the 4 stick is rare and doesn't fit inside the console, and nobody cares about the 3 speed version. (Which this turned out to be)

Edit: I had mistakenly said they were identical to what came in the H/O- they are not but can be modified, and it's apparently quite a process. I was still wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I'd pay $650 for the lightning rods before I spend 3K on any 4L60-70E behind any real power. I'm going 4L80E for exactly that reason.

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I'd pay $650 for the lightning rods before I spend 3K on any 4L60-70E behind any real power. I'm going 4L80E for exactly that reason.
I'm with you, really, I absolutely hate the entire platform. But after reading what Hutch and other very highly skilled professionals have shared over the years I've come to learn that they can and will take big power provided the correct selection of parts and mods are paired together. The $3k price tag was also for new trans parts only, starting with a burnt up but good '65 core, no labor, no externals, no fluids. The end result would easily be twice that from a shop.

The '80 is an excellent and durable choice, just has a higher acquisition price. One way or another a good transmission will be expensive.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The "eat your heart out" message wasn't directed at anyone in particular, it was a general statement to the world. I've always wanted these, they're never up for sale, and they were fetching this price 15 years ago. I've overcome a damn mountain of adversity in the last 2 years so this is actually a major accomplishment for me. Stop pissin' on my parade.

And I'm shocked you can't recognize the 4 speed version considering you've owned two of them- it's exactly what came in the console. They are indeed a 3 stick version for a 4 speed trans which may be part of a future project, but they may end up in the Cutlass after all. Whatever they go in they'll be the reason I build another $3k 4L65e, and I'm not even done with the first one so it'll probably be a while. At least spending money on my vehicles is better than using it for drugs, booze, and defense attorneys like I used to.

There's also a 4 stick version that allows the use of neutral and reverse through bypassing the other linkage, and a setup for 3 speed transmissions. But the 4 stick is rare and doesn't fit inside the console, and nobody cares about the 3 speed version, they want this version. Which I'll have in my hands in about 3 weeks.
Didn't mean to strike a nerve, I just thought you were directing that at me. Didn't even realize asking a question was pissin' on anyone's parade. My apologies.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I’d rather have a manual, and at that price I’d be a third there. Until then I’ll settle for the 79 H/O shifter in my Malibu. They do look nice though.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, and since those knobs on your new set of LRs look pretty cruddy, I'll offer you up one set of new LR knobs at no charge. No strings attached.

NOS LR knobs.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Sir, I'd love to accept those shift knobs and I thank you for your generosity as well as your knowledge on the subject.

I apologize to 88hurstolds as well as everyone else for "showing my *ss" as they say.

Last edited:

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
Mr. 88hurstolds, this wouldn't happen to be you on Facebook would it? Screenshot_20231220-150524~2.png Screenshot_20231220-150537~2.png

Consider me interested in learning more about how long the waiting list is, cost involved to add the staging ability to a 3 speed setup, cost to convert from 3 to 4 speed, and the potential cost of converting from 3 to 4 with staging gate. I'm in no position to join the waiting list right now, just asking.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
There are differences between what came in a 83/84 Hurst Olds and what you could have purchased at a speed shop back then. Hurst did make a few versions of their Hurst lightning Rods, 3 speed with a console, a 3 speed 4-stick version, 3 and a 4 speed just for the F body cars. Yes, they made a 4-speed version I pulled one out of a wrecked 86 T/A back in 1989 then sold it three years after and haven't seen another for sale since.

The Lightning Rods when purchased at a speed shop the sticks are longer than the ones that came in the 83/84 Hurst. Then you have the center shaft that extends out see picture with blue circle, those that have that came from a speed shop not from 83/84 Hurst. The pictures below are just examples of speed shop version and what came in a 83/84 Hurst.

lightning rod 2.jpg

Speed shop versions, you can see that the sticks are longer
lightning rods.JPG

speed shop shifter left 83/84 Hurst shifter right you can see the difference of the stick height of the sticks.
00147.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
There are differences between what came in a 83/84 Hurst Olds and what you could have purchased at a speed shop back then. Hurst did make a few versions of their Hurst lightning Rods, 3 speed with a console, a 3 speed 4-stick version, 3 and a 4 speed just for the F body cars. Yes, they made a 4-speed version I pulled one out of a wrecked 86 T/A back in 1989 then sold it three years after and haven't seen another for sale since.

The Lightning Rods when purchased at a speed shop the sticks are longer than the ones that came in the 83/84 Hurst. Then you have the center shaft that extends out see picture with blue circle, those that have that came from a speed shop not from 83/84 Hurst. The pictures below are just examples of speed shop version and what came in a 83/84 Hurst.

View attachment 232620

Speed shop versions, you can see that the sticks are longer
View attachment 232623

speed shop shifter left 83/84 Hurst shifter right you can see the difference of the stick height of the sticks.
View attachment 232624
So back in the 80's if you were to buy lightning rods from a speed shop.....did Hurst also sell a shift plate?......or counsel? How were guys installing them?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor