i need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl85monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2005
hey everybody,
i have a 85 monte carlo ss i am putting a 350 carb., i'm putting headers on, posi rear end, and rear gears will be 373. do u know anything else that will help this be a fine tune machine?

dragginwagon406

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 16, 2005
:idea: Before you get excited and start modding, set some goals. Most people's goals are objective in nature (which are easier to achieve) i.e. I want to run 14,13,12,11's and/or pull .9g's on the skid pad etc. The more difficult goal to accomplish is subjective (meaning it is open to interpretation) such as I want my car to be cool, sweet or fast.

Best bet is to work toward an objective goal, this way you have a sense of accomplishment. People can usually give accurate advise for an objective goal. As for a subjective goal, your opinion is really the only one that matters.

While the fastest way between two points(start of project and end) is a straight line, sometimes the learning curve and enjoyment along the way is invaluable. With a good supply of money, anyone can be a street "hero" right out of the box, but I think they may miss the simple pleasure of the progression from stock car to azz kicker.

One thing for sure, a car project is never really finished...only further along so set some goals and get wrenching.

hybrid_malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 7, 2006
Big Spring, Texas
Some mods that really made my car my enjoyable was the addition of the Hotchkis rear suspension kit and springs. My Malibu used to bounce around all over before the rear kit. Another week link is the stock 7.5" differential. Look for an 8.5" from a 442, GN, Monte, or something along that line. These are dirrect bolt in except the pinion output is about an inch longer. You might need to have your driveshaft shortened like I did. Cost was was about 75 bucks from a drive line shop. Hope this helps.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Monte Carlo SSs never had 8.5" 10-bolts; all of them came with 7.5" or 7 5/8" axle assemblys.

MrCamaro69

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 20, 2006
<<i am tryin to make this thing go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>

Don't forget to make it STOP!!!!! also lol
Anyone here have experience with Global West Front Tubular Control Arm Kits? Looks to be a good way to get larger front disk brakes, along with better front end dynamics, but sure is expensive.
Does your car have rear disk brakes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor