I will never buy a Transmission from TCI again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
I bought this transmission and bolted it up to my 383. It was advertised for 600hp and was suppose to be a street strip package. Well needless to say it couldnt even handle a burnout with drag radials for more then 10 passes. My last run with it I lost second gear during the burnout. I was not impressed after I tore it down to find it built with weak cheep parts. They improperly shimed the bearings and they wore into the drums. So I built my spare with all hardend drims and one way sprags. I also put in a manual reverse valve body. It shifts way better then that Junk TCI ever did. And of course I didnt use there fluid and or Torque convertor so I now have a very expensive boat anchor. Any one else have bad luck with them?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That sucks when you spend money for what you think is a quality part, that transmission is destroyed

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Man that blows for sure!!!! I've had my TCI th350 street fighter since 2003ish and have put it through some serious abuse with no issues at all! I wonder if whoever assembled it didn't take the proper amount of time causing the tolerance issue and failure.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Man that blows for sure!!!! I've had my TCI th350 street fighter since 2003ish and have put it through some serious abuse with no issues at all! I wonder if whoever assembled it didn't take the proper amount of time causing the tolerance issue and failure.
I heard they sent business to Mexico after 2010. Mine had 2015 stamped on it. Shity luck I guess. I have always heard great things from them.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Sprag race broke....how do you do burn outs?

So, you put a 32 or 34 element style drum in a TH350?

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Sprag race broke....how do you do burn outs?

So, you put a 32 or 34 element style drum in a TH350?
I went with a hardend 36 element and a center support from a 700r4. All the tricks I could find to beef it up. I always shift it into 3rd before I role out. I was racing on a all heads up no prep race and the guys ahead of me put tration compound down. I gained traction while still in 2nd. I was expecting that transmission to handle it. Lesson learnd.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Sorry to hear about your dilemma, you try to buy a quality piece and don't get what you paid for. It would be different if they stood behind it - sorry as long as ATF meets specs it's good, and you know when a converter caused the problem. I have been building mine for 15 years and haven't had an incident, even with a trans brake. I will say with my dragster I bought an Abruzzi transmission because by the time I bought all the right pieces I was @ his price. He is a racer and has a great service record w/ them. He even took my transmission to a race and gave it to Holbrook Racing (by my house) so I could get it w/o shipping.

Reactions: 1 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well, having the tires spinning and then they hook while in third gear (seen more in burnouts than street use) will shatter the sprag race every time, that transmits the shock backwards in the transmission and the race just flexes and brakes. The "Corvette" hardened sprag race is a normal TH350 item. Most guys will not spend the $350-375 for the 32-34 element sprag and drum alone.

I am not taking up for TCI, I just have built some transmissions for myself and guys I know, and I have broke quite a few, learning along the way.

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
Sorry about your experience with the transmission. My Nephew bought a TCI transmission from Summit for his AMC. It was similar racing transmission. He bought it but by the time he got the car built all warranty was expired. They probably count on that. We are lucky that Rossler and Abruzi are both 15 minutes away. Both are great to deal with. Any how, the transmission never shifted right, he pulled it out and took it to Rossler. They found cheap parts, 8 stripped bolts and something else but not being a Mopar guy I can't remember. Rossler straightened it out, has worked great since. Now you'll have to buy a boat so you can use that TCI anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor