Kansas Bu Wagon's Build Thread.**TRADED**

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Re: Kansas Bu Wagon's Build Thread.

I started a thread for build sheets at one time but it didn't take off.

Can you take a photo of the entire sheet? Curious about the delivering dealer and what some of the other boxes have in them. ...

Was the car yellow when you got it?

Scott, ...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :shock:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

You gotta be careful handling those headliner boards. If you breathe on them wrong they'll crack. I've gone over mine several times using fiberglass matting and polyester resin. I've never actually covered the entire surface with fiberglass, just the cracks and problem areas. It looks like crap, but under the fabric you won't see it.

The clips are another issue. Fortunately, I squirreled away a few years ago. The front trim clips are available...the rears are another story. I know they're out there. In fact a few years back another wagon guy found a source for them and like an idiot I never wrote down the link. I'll post up a GM part # later on.

I'm glad you found your build sheet. I found mine above the headliner as well. I'll see if I can get a pic of mine to post.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks

Longroof79 said:
You gotta be careful handling those headliner boards. If you breathe on them wrong they'll crack. I've gone over mine several times using fiberglass matting and polyester resin. I've never actually covered the entire surface with fiberglass, just the cracks and problem areas. It looks like crap, but under the fabric you won't see it.

The clips are another issue. Fortunately, I squirreled away a few years ago. The front trim clips are available...the rears are another story. I know they're out there. In fact a few years back another wagon guy found a source for them and like an idiot I never wrote down the link. I'll post up a GM part # later on.

I'm glad you found your build sheet. I found mine above the headliner as well. I'll see if I can get a pic of mine to post.

Yeah the front price almost folded as my brother and I were taking it out the back.

Here are some links I was able to find last night for the clips:

http://www.car-pak.com/Fasteners/c22/p9 ... _info.html

viewtopic.php?p=145962#.U49BU4m9LCR

http://www.gbodyparts.com/product_info. ... e6f1d55d14

The link to the forum has more info on the subject.

And brewsky, I'll get those pictures for you when I get home from work. I think it's going to be a pretty interesting topic.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Good work finding the rear headliner clips. I noticed that there's 25 per box. How many do you get for $10.20?
I see that you have to purchase them from a distributor...that's okay.

Thanks for posting the link to the topic on the site. I forgot all about that discussion.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks

No problem, Jack!

ssbrewskyaz, here are those pictures. They're in panoramic. It's the best way I could get a close up of each section.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 545
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 550
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 549

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona

Longroof79 said:
I've gone over mine several times using fiberglass matting and polyester resin.
Jack, that's brilliant! Why in hell didn't I think of that? That's absolutely how I will repair my headliner. If I had the time I'd make a mold and pop some more off too. You can purchase the fiberglass headliners for the two doors but I've yet to see one for a wagon. A good friend of mine builds body's using the same fiberglass principle.

Like my dad always used to say "Two heads are thicker than one".

Scott, ...

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks

Well I have a little update on the car.

I traded it for a 79 2 door today. I'm really going to miss the wagon, but the two door has almost ZERO Rust.

I'll have some pics and more details tomorrow.

I'll get another wagon some day. Hopefully one witha less rust.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

ssbrewskyaz said:
Longroof79 said:
I've gone over mine several times using fiberglass matting and polyester resin.
Jack, that's brilliant! Why in hell didn't I think of that? That's absolutely how I will repair my headliner. If I had the time I'd make a mold and pop some more off too. You can purchase the fiberglass headliners for the two doors but I've yet to see one for a wagon. A good friend of mine builds body's using the same fiberglass principle.

Like my dad always used to say "Two heads are thicker than one".

Scott, ...

Scott,
It would be nice if they did made ABS headliners for the wagon. Considering what they get for the 2-dr headliner boards, the wagon version would be considerably more price-wise. So therefore we have to resort to using fiberglass, or whatever it takes.
Of course I regret not pulling a good one when I had numerous opportunities.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

Kansas Bu Wagon said:
Well I have a little update on the car.

I traded it for a 79 2 door today. I'm really going to miss the wagon, but the two door has almost ZERO Rust.

I'll have some pics and more details tomorrow.

I'll get another wagon some day. Hopefully one with less rust.

If you feel it was the right thing to do, then you did the right thing. You'll have to post some pics of your new acquisition and tell us what's in it.
Good luck with it.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks

Ok so a little about the 2 door I traded for.
It is a California grandma owned car that came to kansas about 8 years ago and was parked when the oil pump went bad in the v6. The frame is straight and rust free and so are the floor pans. The only rust I have been able to fine is a 3 inch circle at the bottom rear of the pass side back window. And there is a fairly large dent on the pass quarter that my buddy is sure he can help me get out. I'm pretty excited about how little work it needs compared to the wagon.

I traded the wagon and my 8.5 housing for it straight up. I feel like it's at worst a fair deal for me considering the amount of rust the wagon has. Here's a quick pic from after I got my GTA wheels changed over.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 409
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor