LED Dash Lighting 87 442

John Canon

Apprentice
Apr 19, 2022
Vancouver Canada
The snowcap type are bright enough. I got mine from NAPA Canada. I did a test before installing to see how bright they are. They also look great as courtesy lamps under the dash.
IMG_E0483.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

kkgkeane

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 23, 2023
Hi, I did mine on my 86 earlier this year. No issues yet, here are the bulbs I used, ery happy with the brightness. I only replaced the 16's.SYLVANIA - 168.TP 168 Basic Miniature Bulb, (Contains 10 Bulbs). I also would recommend the following since your going to pull the unit. Remove the tach spring little red clip and solder a small piece of copper wire, it eliminated the tach poor performance issues (Video on YouTube). You have to use the correct solder, I need to look that up. I cleaned up GENTLY the inside blue plastic housing, I also place a couple of pieces of reflective tape I had in the corners and along the sides to help. The black plastic piece that house the idiot lights and lense had a black foam type of gasket with the 1/2 holes in it was deteriorated. I found this material on Amazon ( uxcell Black Glitter EVA Foam Sheets 11 x 8 Inch 2mm Thick for Crafts DIY Project 6Pcs) and used the old one as a template and made a new one. Came out pretty nice. I think I made two so if you need one I can stick in an regular envelope and send to you if I have the spare. The little metal speedometer trip reset knob had rust on it so I used some steel wool, lightly cleaned, taped off and lightly hit with some black spray paint. lastly i tightened the plug clip metal fingers using a small screw driver to gently pry back to tighten a closer closed position (There is video on YouTube as well)

Reactions: 2 users

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Thanks for all the information. I take it these already have the resistor in them? I plan on picking up a set soon. Cluster is out, getting ready to put in a new speed sensor, so might as well change the bulbs too.

442_olds

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2010
Ok, will I need to add a resistor in line with the bulb circuit, in order to dim the LED's? If so, what wattage? If there is a better solution, let me know.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor