LED dash conversion

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
Time to get rid of those dingy 194's. Couple questions for those who've done it:

1. How many bulbs do I need. Not doing dome, footwells, etc., just dash. Gauges, hvac controller, etc.

2. Where did you get them from? Not looking to change colors, I'd like to keep it stock looking, just brighter.

TIA

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018

One of the more common complaints from 4th Generation Monte Carlo SS owners is the dim gauge cluster. If you're like me, you have to squint to see your fuel level or other gauge readings at night.

The problem is the result of a combination of a few different factors. The lamps used to illuminate the gauges are not the brightest to begin with. The stock lamps (8 type 168 bulbs) are rated at 3 candlepower. In addition the gauges are not directly lit by the lamps. They are illuminated by reflected light from the back of the gauge cluster faceplate. The rear of the faceplate is a bluish color that darkens with age. Both these factors, combined with a few burnt out lamps make the gauges very dim at night.

There are a few things that can be done to alleviate the problems stated above. Correcting the dim gauge problem is quick, easy and cheap. This write-up details the following upgrades:

• Replacing low brightness and or burnt out lamps with new, high brightness lamps.
  • Cleaning of the lamp connectors to ensure they are not resistive.
  • Improving the reflection factor of the gauge cluster face plate.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I put LEDs in my coupe just the cluster. They're not dimmable, but with the old switch, they're marginally dimmer with some careful fine tuning. The glare around the edges doesn't really appear in person, the camera picked it all up

IMG_0355[1].JPG

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I would suggest superbrightled.com for LED's, you are able to choose different options for brightness vs cost in the bulbs

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor