Lockup converter kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

87_442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2014
Glassboro, NJ
Has anyone out there used the lockup kits that are sold for your 200r4 or 700r4? If so how did you like it? And more importantly do you have to turn the toggle switch on only when you're already in 4th gear or can you just turn the switch on and leave it be? Thanks in advance

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have used both kinds, the kind with the switch, and another style that has a vacuum switch so it only activated in 3rd and 4th. TBH, I like the automatic one for a daily driver. This way you don't forget about it.

This TCI kit is currenty in my brothers 80 Malibu with a 454 and 2004R transmission.

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/2004r-700r4-lockup-wiring-kithtml/

87_442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2014
Glassboro, NJ
Thanks for the feedback, so in your opinion the tci setup is the way to go. I've seen some other ones that aren't vacuum operated. To your knowledge do they require the ECM to still be in the car?

87_442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2014
Glassboro, NJ
Thanks for the feedback, so in your opinion the tci setup is the way to go. I've seen some other ones that aren't vacuum operated. To your knowledge do they require the ECM to still be in the car?

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
No ECM required. The kit was developed primarily for retrofits into pre-computer era cars.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
MeanBuicks said:
No ECM required. The kit was developed primarily for retrofits into pre-computer era cars.

Exactly. IF it was a track only car, then the manually activated one would be the way to go for me. This kit keeps you from forgetting to arm a switch

87_442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2014
Glassboro, NJ
Thanks for the input guys. I found a place on eBay that sells a kit and promises it only requires a 12v wire to go to the trans from the fuse block and there's no switches or computers required. It also doesn't seem like it has a vacuum switch. The sellers name is justracing-and-more. Maybe you guys can see something that I don't. Or more so tell me if I've just been ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor