Lockup converter kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Has anyone tried the $165 Painless Wiring kit that comes with the pre-wired solenoid? Not sure why one would have to replace the lockup solenoid, but this kit includes a new pressure switch and vacuum switch.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I rigged up a 200-4R twenty years ago with a kit from Hughes Perfromance. It had a pressure switch that mounted on the outside of the trans (senses shift into 4th gear). I wired 12 volts to a second brake switch (unlocks when you step on the brake - there was already a hole in the bracket for the brake light switch) and then through a highbeam floor switch to over-ride the system, then finally to the Hughes-supplied 4-pin square plug that goes into the side of the trans. 83 Malibu wagon with a 400 SBC. Used to love the ricers playing tag in traffic, flying up behind me, flashing their brights, then the expression on their face getting really small as the big ol' wagon galloped away. Unlock, drop into third, and mash the Go pedal. The newer kits do all that for you with the vacuum switch. It's how the very first pickup 700-R4s were set up before GM used computers.

jking78

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2011
ssn696 said:
I rigged up a 200-4R twenty years ago with a kit from Hughes Perfromance. It had a pressure switch that mounted on the outside of the trans (senses shift into 4th gear). I wired 12 volts to a second brake switch (unlocks when you step on the brake - there was already a hole in the bracket for the brake light switch) and then through a highbeam floor switch to over-ride the system, then finally to the Hughes-supplied 4-pin square plug that goes into the side of the trans. 83 Malibu wagon with a 400 SBC. Used to love the ricers playing tag in traffic, flying up behind me, flashing their brights, then the expression on their face getting really small as the big ol' wagon galloped away. Unlock, drop into third, and mash the Go pedal. The newer kits do all that for you with the vacuum switch. It's how the very first pickup 700-R4s were set up before GM used computers.

Which kit?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I can't find it on their site nor Jegs or Summit. I know I have the instruction sheet somewhere. If I find it, I'll scan it in and post it.

MeanBuicks

Master Mechanic
Apr 1, 2014
Memphis, TN
ssn696 said:
I rigged up a 200-4R twenty years ago with a kit from Hughes Perfromance. It had a pressure switch that mounted on the outside of the trans (senses shift into 4th gear).

Be aware that on 700R4 transmissions, only the earliest models had external fourth gear pressure taps like this.
attachment.php

The later cases look like this so you'll have to grab the fourth gear pressure from the valve body.
attachment.php

jking78

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2011
MeanBuicks said:
ssn696 said:
I rigged up a 200-4R twenty years ago with a kit from Hughes Perfromance. It had a pressure switch that mounted on the outside of the trans (senses shift into 4th gear).

Be aware that on 700R4 transmissions, only the earliest models had external fourth gear pressure taps like this.
attachment.php

The later cases look like this so you'll have to grab the fourth gear pressure from the valve body.
attachment.php

Lol my bubble was just pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor