Look what happened! Need some opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
Going to the drag races last weekend at Grove Creek, (just to watch), took the regal, i let off the throttle to turn into the place and the rpm's dropped like i had no transmission! I shifted down to 1st and still nothing, i coasted out of the way and put it in park and i heard the park pin sound. I got out and looked at the drive shaft and it looked fine. As i walked oover to the passenger side i seen this!!!!
normal_676A0067.JPG
normal_676A0068.JPG

So i got it home and tore it apart and found that the posi was worn and the c clip fell out. So im gonna have to get a new one, I have an auburn gear limited slip now. I was wondering what would be better to get, an auburn gear friction style like this
diff-exploded.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Auburn-Gear/109/5 ... tId=744447
or a detroit trutrac gear style like this
ct_126000.jpg
http://www.jegs.com/i/Detroit-Locker/35 ... 9/10002/-1 Any input would be great. they are about the same price, i would probably get the better auburn if i picked that style. what are the pros and cons of each?

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
The c-clip shouldn't have fell out due to a worn posi. The center pin(or pinion shaft as its labeled inn your first pic) keeps the axle from pushing in far enough to let the clip out. Look for excessive wear on that pin or a broken spider gear. Upon looking again, maybe its possible to have enough room for it to come out if the side gear can get pushed back far enough from the loss of friction material but I've never seen it happen that way. Anyway welcome to the junk rears these cars came with. If you can afford it go with the true trac, or better yet upgrade to an 8.5, 12 bolt, or 9in instead.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
That's happened to me a couple of times, last time my car hit second under hard accel which caused the carrier to basically grenade inside the housing. Wasn't pretty when I opened it up :puke: , carrier was in pieces. Good thing you caught it before the axle completely made its exit (have had that happen too), not pretty for the car.
I agree, rather than sink $600 into the 7.5, upgrade to a little better rear if possible.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
There's a reason why they sell C-clip eliminator kits....

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
I was about to pull the trigger on the auburn myself. Are the Truetrac's that much better?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
johnny79 said:
I was about to pull the trigger on the auburn myself. Are the Truetrac's that much better?

Yes. There's nothing to wear out. At least not in terms of friction material.

Although I've had Auburn's in the past and didn't have any problems with them, I know a lot of guys that hate them. But then most of them are drag racers, which I don't believe the Auburn is really setup for.

I've also heard the same of the True-trac. It's more of a autocross/road race style differential but can't take the punishment of a hardcore, sticky tire dragstrip launch.
My brother has one in his '02 Mustang GT and it holds up fine with drag radials. He has a 5 speed and is running low 12's @ 112-114mph.

86 regal

Greasemonkey
Oct 23, 2009
Hanover, NM
The cone was so wore out that the spider gears were really sloppy and it came out between the spring retainer and spider gear, I was actually going to get c clip eliminators last fall and kinda just forgot about it. :oops: I really want a 12 bolt but thats a lot of money for me right now considering i hardly drive the car and when i do im pretty nice to it except for a donut here and there, i think i'll go with the trutrac, thanks for the input!

johnny79

Greasemonkey
Nov 12, 2009
DC
According to the jegs site, that's not going to work on my cutlass 1979. Any clue why they would say that. I know I have a 7.5 10 bolt 26 spline.

Pontiac455

Master Mechanic
Jun 8, 2010
Look for a 8 3/4 out of a B body dodge or plymouth the housing is 52 inches from plate 2 plate. Set the rear houseing up in a jig take some measurements and weld in all the brackets. Set of 391's and a sure grip and u'll never break that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor