Looking for quiet mufflers

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If the muffler is placed too early in the system
I remember a guy who had an old Buick. He had glass packs installed right off the head pipes. Then straight pipe all the way back to the rear bumper. The exhaust was so quiet, you hardly knew the engine was running. But at higher rpm's, they barked. Deceleration you got that machine gun popping sound like a school bus. I thought it was pretty cool sounding.

Reactions: 1 users

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I remember a guy who had an old Buick. He had glass packs installed right off the head pipes. Then straight pipe all the way back to the rear bumper. The exhaust was so quiet, you hardly knew the engine was running. But at higher rpm's, they barked. Deceleration you got that machine gun popping sound like a school bus. I thought it was pretty cool sounding.
I had my El Camino set up with 3" header extensions 18" long and 3" H pipe with the intention of adding powered cutouts at the bend before they turned into 2.5" and went straight out the back. It was just as you described- you could barely hear it idling but the second you touched the gas it told on ya, and LOUDLY. It was the best sound ever- different than regular straight pipe and vastly different than glass packs.

Reactions: 1 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
I've used Dynomax Super Turbo's, Pype's Race Pro's, both are fairly quiet at idle and crusing, but get louder at WOT. It makes driving enjoyable when you can hold a conversation in the car. I'm not sure how some people do that.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor