Lt1 swapped cutlass won’t start but shoots flames !?

85broughamlt1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2022
I’ve got an Lt1 out of an impala ss w a small stage 2 cam, shorty headers and a carb swap. I’ve mounted the engine and tried starting it but will just not go for it. It shoots flames out the headers aswell as a little bit of gas out the carb. I’ve tried moving my dist since I though it would be 180 out but does the same thing except worse, it will then shoot gas out the carb violently and will no longer shoot flames out the headers so I moved it back. I’ve quadruple checked my tdc on compression stroke.
I’m stuck and am not sure what to do as this is my first car and my first build
knowledge and experience isn’t the best as I am just a senior in High School nd dont have many people around with the same interests. I’ve heard it could be the camshafts timing or rockers being to tight, the engine was rebuilt so I’m not 100% sure everything is completely correct inside,ANY INFORMATION WILL HELP! If anyone has any idea of what to do that could PLS help me out would be greatly appreciated, I’ve thought about getting someone to finish the job as I do need the car n want to drive it already but i aint rich nd I know it’ll be worth all the irritating headaches once I’m done w it myself;)

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
First thought...is firing order correct at the dist cap? As viewed from above, rotates clockwise.

Reactions: 1 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
LT1 is a very specific engine. It has reverse cooling and has the opti-spark distributor mounted on front of block.

You mention using carb, so I guess the air horn and EFI was removed. The ECM will be looking for those pieces, and with those missing..., the ECM is lost in the sauce.

Seeing that you are a senior; does your H.S. have an auto shop? I would talk with the auto shop teacher and see if you can bring the car in as a "teaching tool". You need some one that is well versed in this particular engine. What year was the SS Impala?

85broughamlt1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2022
LT1 is a very specific engine. It has reverse cooling and has the opti-spark distributor mounted on front of block.

You mention using carb, so I guess the air horn and EFI was removed. The ECM will be looking for those pieces, and with those missing..., the ECM is lost in the sauce.

Seeing that you are a senior; does your H.S. have an auto shop? I would talk with the auto shop teacher and see if you can bring the car in as a "teaching tool". You need some one that is well versed in this particular engine. What year was the SS Impala?
The year would be 1996 out of an impala ss and into an 85 brougham

85broughamlt1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2022

Unfortunately I only have a couple of friends who are into cars that could help me with this but they are the same as if not more clueless than me😅, I’ve been doing everything on my own so far and my school only has a welding class as of now:/

85broughamlt1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 21, 2022
I’ve only checked the dist and the firing order as of now since I first tried starting it while also working on the body of the car, just want to get an idea of where to go next in the engine

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor