Manual transmissions in the Montes

Status
Not open for further replies.

khw1990

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
I did not have trouble because the vin starts with a 1 (If i remember correctly). This indicates that the car was made in the states and exported to Mexico, not built entirely in Mexico. It was like returning an american car to the US. No fuss.

I am in the Philly area but will be moving to the DMV in a few weeks :) Bringin the beast with me

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
Just wondering what ALL g bodys come stock with Manual transmissions ? Monte ever come with them ?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Yes. Monte Carlos and El Caminos used the same setup as Malibus. The Buicks, Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles used a variation on the 1970's BOP bellhousing, with the clutch pivot ball rotated about five degrees towards the ground and used the same bent fork as in the Malibus. Probably due to floor clearance issues mentioned earlier in this thread. I suspect any stripper version of the A/G body that had a stick had the V6; then there were the 'performance' models with a 305, 350, 403, etc. that had a 4-speed. Others can confirm/refute. There are probably photos to be had as well...

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Here are some pics that show the stock shifter location. Stock is more forward, with the special factory mount. The rearward hole is where a rear tail housing mounted shifter would be located. You can see it's about 6" back and there is where the tunnel interference comes in. Plus, a manual trans was standard on base models, which also had bench seats, so the forward mounted shifter cleared the bench seat as well. If you don't mind fabricating a bit, there's no reason a tail housing mounted shifter won't work, especially with bucket seats. Also, notice the flat side on the Saginaw tail housing, that is to accommodate the special shifter mount. Regular round tail housings locate the shifter even farther over.
PB220037-1.jpg
PB220038.jpg

khw1990

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
Sorry for the long hiatus everyone! But I have good news! I got the original SS with a manual into the US and am now looking for a Gbody enthusiast to take her home!

Check out this thread I started on the For Sale side of the site:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=54475#.VJoS414CAKA

I love the car and I hope that someone else with GBody love will find it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor