maybe a lil offtopic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chongo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2013
but why do you elco owners love the minos so much? Origianlly marketed for woman, and eventually Im sure once women decided they were horrendeous we started buying them up, but really, the elco isnt built for most of the engine sizes we buy them with or put in them, they fishtail, yet they command so much respect, and why? What makes them so appealing to us? I know I love them, but why do you? just wonderin g, kinda wanna see how varying the opinions may be on here

Chongo

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2013
BTW Ill be posting a build thread soon, its jsut hard with all my bills and all, but sooon enough front clip will be swapped and then hopefully i can overhaul the engine. I have a 79 orange copnquista not original paint, its gonna be black on black on black, slowly but surely

Neuron

Apprentice
Oct 22, 2012
SOCAL
Chongo said:
but why do you elco owners love the minos so much? Origianlly marketed for woman, and eventually Im sure once women decided they were horrendeous we started buying them up, but really, the elco isnt built for most of the engine sizes we buy them with or put in them, they fishtail, yet they command so much respect, and why? What makes them so appealing to us? I know I love them, but why do you? just wonderin g, kinda wanna see how varying the opinions may be on here
Myself I have owned and liked cars and trucks but in my present circumstances I can't own both so the ELKY fits the bill for me, I can carry what I need for the house, tow a boat and going down the road through the curves I feel like I am in a Monte or Chevelle.
Good luck on your build, be sure and take lots of pictures, know what you mean about dinero in that there is never enough.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Chongo said:
Back in the 60's and 70's, pickup trucks in general were hard-riding, poor handling and sparsely appointed. If you weren't a farmer or contractor, you wouldn't go near one. Many upscale suburban communities wouldn't let you park one where it could be seen from the street. Caminos and Rancheros, on the other hand, gave you a pickup bed when you needed it, but a comfortable ride, passenger car handling, passenger car comfort /convenience options as well as performance options, including the meanest big-blocks available at the time. Any gearhead would be happy to own one.
I had my first one in '83, a new Caballero. Had to go to a full-size pickup a few years later since I needed something a bit more substantial to tow a sprint car. Once we got a Suburban to drag our trailer around, I got my current Camino in '93 and have had it ever since. I've had a few cool cars over the years, Camaros, 'Vettes, Firebirds, SS Impalas, even a Syclone, but the Camino will be in my garage for probably as long as I live.

Bill

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
Unique people drive unique vehicles, this is my 2nd camino, first was an 81 but let it go after some transmission problems (didn't know anything about cars) and acquired my 78 6months ago. I think the 5th gen has a muscular looking bodystyle more so than other g bodies and everywhere I go I get stares even though i t needs paint. I was originally looking for an s-10 but a guy offered to trade me straight up for my 95 volvo 850 turbo wagon so how could I refuse, traded a disposable expensive upkeep vehicle for a classic chevy that has an abundance of cheap parts. Besides, with an online community like this one you cant go wrong

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I saw the first 78 El Camino on the lot at the Chevy dealer here in Phoenix, When I was in high school.
I worked and saved for over six years, I Just put it on the back burner. I finally found a used one for sale in 82.
I have owned it ever since.

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 864
  • a207929137748f5da0e936_m.jpg
    a207929137748f5da0e936_m.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 865
Reactions: 1 user

Dave V

G-Body Guru
Jul 18, 2011
i was born in 76 and was a product of the 80's and my dad always wanted one used to see them new on dealer lots and just always wanted one and i finnaly was able to get my 83 1st and then my 84. i love it cause its not a true pick up but you can use it and to me they are good looking and stylish and different still see more camaros from that time period than i do el caminos...my dad always wanted one but a two seater was just not in the cars for the family and the day i bought my 83 he was 1st to drive it after i did and he has always been on my side while doing mods etc and that means alot to me as he has been there every step of the way on my mods and this is my 2nd el and by far my best....

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I’ve been cars and trucks for longer than I care to admit, there is always something to haul, not necessarily large but usually heavy and often dirty. I’ve had a bunch of both conventional trucks and El Caminos.

Personally I like the lower bed on the El Caminos for loading and unloading. The body style had a LOT less wind resistance which means better fuel mileage and the ride is a lot better than a conventional truck.

I always like the body lines of the early Monte Carlos but couldn’t justify another car so that’s why mine ended up this way.

1979ratrod

Royal Smart Person
Dec 26, 2010
New Hampshire
i thought they were really ugly at first and then they really grew on me. it was my first car so i was kinda stuck with it but i wouldnt trade it for anything, i love em now. i didnt know they were designed for women. that kinda sucks haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor