maybe going to the track soon..

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokes468

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
79cutlasssalon442 said:
smokes468 said:
A box stock holley 650dp will do wonders, no bigger though, Just expect to blow those street tires off when you hammer down on it, Keep the 600 eddy as your street carb, use the 650dp as your track carb, Down the road drop in a 2800 stall & some sticky tires, you should see low 13s pretty easy.
I would LOVE to go sticky tires. I was already afraid of blowing the 7.5" with street tires though.

The 7.5" is iffy, Now on mine, when the 7.5" was in it, It would howl bad, had 4.11 gears & an eaton posi unit when i bought the car, went underneath & found the yoke was wobbling, so i snugged up the nut, still howled, I ran it like that a few times on DRs with the 406, pulled 1.73 60ft. times & 12.4 passes lol, hammered the piss out of it on the street, never broke.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Guy I'm friends with is willing to dig out of his 100 carburetor collection. A 750 double pumper. Rebuild the whole thing to new. And tune it for my specific application. Just not sure how much. He also has his own distributor machine and such so we may do a complete tuning overhaul on it soon. And then back to the track we go!

smokes468

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
79cutlasssalon442 said:
Guy I'm friends with is willing to dig out of his 100 carburetor collection. A 750 double pumper. Rebuild the whole thing to new. And tune it for my specific application. Just not sure how much. He also has his own distributor machine and such so we may do a complete tuning overhaul on it soon. And then back to the track we go!

With your 3.42 gear & 1800 stall i really think you should stick with a 650dp, The 750dp will be abit much, not that it won't run, but it'll run faster with a 650dp. If this guy has a hurd of holley carbs, i'm sure he has a 650dp among the mix.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
smokes468 said:
With your 3.42 gear & 1800 stall i really think you should stick with a 650dp, The 750dp will be abit much, not that it won't run, but it'll run faster with a 650dp. If this guy has a hurd of holley carbs, i'm sure he has a 650dp among the mix.

I agree- an old tip for proper tuning is run the smallest carb possible for your specific application to keep the velocity of air up in your engine. If you run too big a carb, it gets lazy on the bottom and you have to jet the carb down a lot to get it to run right.

Holley has a pretty good carb selector and it's pretty accurate. I have an engine building program as well that has you put in your bore, stroke, compression, cam specs, intake type, carb spacer size, exaust type, etc and calculates your carb size- Amazingly a 500 cfm carb is good for most v8 applications up into the 350 cu in size as long as your not racing. I have a 750 edelbrock on my basically stock 350 in my cutlass, and it works ok because the Edelbrock secondaries have a weighted progressive butterfly that makes them operate like a smaller carb. If you ran a 600 edelbrock and a 600 holley, the edelbrock will be more reliable and require less maintenance and tuning, but the holley will give better performace. Just my personal experience. Also a properly tuned vac secondary car will work as good or better for all driving conditions than a mechanical secondary. You need a tuning kit to change how fast the secondaries open but with a little tuning, they will open as fast or only as much as the engine needs because it's based on engine load. Couple years ago I spent some good money on some david Vizard books, and I learned a ton about carburation, head porting, and general tuning.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Friend says the only double pumper he has is the 750. But then again he is willing to put it on the car and tune all the variables to give me the most power..

smokes468

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
79cutlasssalon442 said:
Friend says the only double pumper he has is the 750. But then again he is willing to put it on the car and tune all the variables to give me the most power..

What is this carb going to cost you in the end??

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
smokes468 said:
79cutlasssalon442 said:

Im guessing no more than $100

smokes468

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2014
79cutlasssalon442 said:
smokes468 said:
79cutlasssalon442 said:

Im guessing no more than $100

K, If you end up spending more, i'd start looking into a good used 650dp on e-bay, they can be had for 150-175.00 bucks. Even check your local Carigslist, punch in "holley carbs" under the parts section.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Im gonna try throwing my dad's edelbrock 750 on it in the morning and going out for a few full throttle pulls up to 60 to see how much it changes. Someone on here told me im only getting about 250hp out of this motor. Seems like for $2000 of parts and labor I'd be getting more than 250hp...

BPTTONE420012

G-Body Guru
Jan 20, 2014
FAIRFIELD COUNTY, CT
i was AMAZED at the difference carbs actually had on the performance of my 350, i tried 3 carbs... i love the old edelbrock 1904 qjets, 795cfm carb, runs my sbc full roller 350 beautifully... not a big fan of the holley 750dp, i know ALOT of people love and swear by them, but compared to the qjet and 750 street demon, it just didnt perform as well, that being said, i dont think i had it tuned perfectly and speaking of the street demon 750, what an odd looking carb, but it performed INCREDIBLY WELL right out of the box... no tuning, just bolted it on, hooked up my lines, and off i went... both me and my buddy just built sbc 350's, and he had ordered the street demon 750 for his build, so it was brand new, but he let me try it out, we both wanted to know if it was any good and it ROCKED... i will always love the qjet 1904 but those new funky street demon carbs are badass, a little over 300 bucks but then you also have to buy their air cleaner, or the spacer they sell cause of the shape of the carb, a normal cleaner doesnt fit without their spacer... i sold the brand new holley 750dp for $100 (only paid $50 for it), the street demon 750 was borrowed :( so i am back to running the 795cfm qjet, i ordered a street demon but then realised there wasnt enough funds on the prepaid card i use for online shopping, so the qjet will stay for a little while longer... as soon as i have the extra funds, i am getting the street demon 750... not in any rush though, the qjet does just fine... hell, i'd stay with my qjet but it just doesnt have the shine that every part under my hood does, so a nice new shiney streetdemon to go ontop of the polished performer rpm intake looks so badass... all chrome or brushed aluminum accessories and then theres that old, dirty, qjet... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor