BUILD THREAD Motor Swap, Transmission and Torque Converter Swap, and Rear End Upgrade...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
This thread seemed to have gone for a sh*t.
I hate posting in any of the OP's threads but I will this time I & not direct it to the OP as this is not for him. This did in less than 24 hours ran from a inquiry from a poster with a history to a sh*t show going away from the topic as all of them do. I hope the moderators prevent this thread from getting to the typical out come they always become. These become feeders to what this site is not about nor should be represented by when someone does any inner web search they pops up in. I would suggest for only the brave to jump in & blessed be you if your advice is used positively. I would love to see all here get along while sharing knowlege that spans decades of experience but there will always be something to get in the way. I'm just going to be an observer again, wait for the powers to be to lock things down cause the sh*t gets too thick. Again the OP should not like/dislike, comment or quote me or this as this is not directed to him but to others in the fourm to read.
Out.

Reactions: 3 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
First of all, I'm not bashing the Ford 9". The internet has already pushed them up to a high place because they are seen under many quick cars. The advantages are many and I agree with most of them.

The only part that is not mentioned is something that I've noticed when choosing a differential for the street.
One thing that gives a 9" it's strength is the pocket bearing or rear bearing behind the pinion gear. Where that bearing lives is the same space a differential lives. No problem for an open or spool but if you want a differential you are forced to have one with tiny clutches or puny helical gears.

Street cars need a differential, no spools for the street. If a single digit car needs it. I understand but a mild build does not need a rear that is a bit higher in drag due to it's pinion being so low that I believe it's no longer truly a ring and pinion, it should be referred to as a worm drive.

Trying to explain this to someone who wants to argue carb vs efi if different. I felt like you deserved a technical explanation and I've included a pic of the typical size diff for a Dana 60, GM 12 bolt, 8.5, 8.8 vs a Ford 9" on the right.
At risk of derailing this thread further, could you make a thread detailing those issues of the 9 inch in a street application? Can’t really find anything through the chorus of how great it is.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Fabricated the rear deck to fit 6x9 speakers instead of factory 4x10s without adapters.

screenshot_20230926_002054-jpg.228709

For future reference there is a far better way to mount 6 x 9's without an adapter instead of cutting up your rear deck like that and possibly affecting some structural Integrity, you just cut a notch the thickness of the speaker just below the deck surface maybe 5" long for the speaker to slid into and it mounts from underneath and the notch is hidden by the rear seat.
20191214_161154_resized.jpg

20191214_160455_resized.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
First of all, I'm not bashing the Ford 9". The internet has already pushed them up to a high place because they are seen under many quick cars. The advantages are many and I agree with most of them.

The only part that is not mentioned is something that I've noticed when choosing a differential for the street.
One thing that gives a 9" it's strength is the pocket bearing or rear bearing behind the pinion gear. Where that bearing lives is the same space a differential lives. No problem for an open or spool but if you want a differential you are forced to have one with tiny clutches or puny helical gears.

Street cars need a differential, no spools for the street. If a single digit car needs it. I understand but a mild build does not need a rear that is a bit higher in drag due to it's pinion being so low that I believe it's no longer truly a ring and pinion, it should be referred to as a worm drive.

Trying to explain this to someone who wants to argue carb vs efi if different. I felt like you deserved a technical explanation and I've included a pic of the typical size diff for a Dana 60, GM 12 bolt, 8.5, 8.8 vs a Ford 9" on the right.
So the reason I asked, I've been running Detroit TruTrac in my 9" since about 2008, torsen type Differential, not a spool. I have that bearing as well because that's how the 9" is designed and why it holds together.

That's why I asked because maybe you're seeing something I'm not...

DIFFERENTIAL ASEMBLED.jpg

Last edited:

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i been running a ford 9" in my Gbody for close to 30 years, i originally installed it when i was in high school, my original carrier was the old school trac lok posi with 389 gears behind a healthy big block. i just installed the Tru Trac torsion with the same 389 gears. i cant say enough good things about the reliability and strength of this rear for any engine that has a lot torque.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
At risk of derailing this thread further, could you make a thread detailing those issues of the 9 inch in a street application? Can’t really find anything through the chorus of how great it is.
There are no issues, it works with a normal differential fine so not even sure what the guy is getting at. Me as well as the guy who posted above me have stated the same. It's big, tough, and heavy so put some power infront of it. 31 Spline Axles are perfect for the street. Daytona type Pinion Support and let it rip.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
If you go back to the left picture in reply #40. This is the reason I have this opinion. Basically the size of the carrier section.
Generally in drivetrains when all else is equal, smaller is not better. You can hold a door open by sitting a cinder block in front of it or stuff a piece of cardboard in the door jamb, both will hold it open but one will hold it better. Off road guys do not run the 9" for that very reason.

I'm not doubting your differential has not been trouble free and reliable. It's like arguing over what is the best bearing grease. They ALL have their pros and cons. For a street car it needs to be mentioned, the best is not the best in every category.

So basically there is 100 reasons for each decision for each car/person. Since my car is not fast, efficiency is important to me and I refuse to run a spool on the street. A Tru trac diff was chosen and I wanted a big TruTrac. Also had interest in keeping a GM rear under my car, even though they are not the strongest, I chose a 12 bolt.

The market value of an 8.5 was also considered. If I broke it, the value would be $0.00. So I sold it for $2500 and that almost paid for a brand new Moser 12.

Attachments

• 20230326_172404.jpg
    20230326_172404.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 46
Reactions: 3 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Any fool who doesn't see that Built6spdMCSS came to this thread started talking sh*t, and turned it into sh*t...is clearly part of the problem...it was derailed because of that...

Judging me, putting false jackets on me, consider me "controversial", encouraging other to ignore my threads, and don't even know me, but for simply questioning advice given to me, and biting back when I'm bit lol... typical "good ol' boy" attitude...

Like I said I only get treated like this here on this site, been in the whole another website longer than what I've been here and I get more respect there... they don't say the same things about me there, that they do here...imagine that.

I swear this website is secretly operated by the KKK...gurantee treatment would've been worse if I said I wanted to do some ghetto s*** to my car... like 30" wheels, an off balance lift, and fruity colors and sh*t...🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🖕🏾🗣❗🎯💯

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
View attachment 228731
My man, take your own advice and learn from your past here by taking it down a couple of notches. The Instagram speak and the paragraph responses of hate and insults just show how dull you are.
So I'm wrong for posting a thread in here, asking for advice, got sh*tted on, and defended myself because someone was talking to s*** to me first?

Why can't we hold the other guy accountable for bringing s*** to the table ?

It's perfectly okay for him to talk s*** but I can't talk s*** back.. sounds like some double standard b******* to me.

But whatever, to each his own. 🎯💯

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
So I'm wrong for posting a thread in here, asking for advice, got sh*tted on, and defended myself because someone was talking to s*** to me first?

Why can't we hold the other guy accountable for bringing s*** to the table ?

It's perfectly okay for him to talk s*** but I can't talk s*** back.. sounds like some double standard b******* to me.

But whatever, to each his own. 🎯💯
Dude, just leave.
I ain’t reading all that, and you don’t have the capacity to learn.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor