muncie and hurst shifter downshifting troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a Lakewood that works very well, but then I found a genuine GM and I felt they were almost identical. The Lakewood was about half the price.

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Aren't you running a straight fork though?

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Lol you souls feel lazy. Jon the Macho left leg club lol

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, I use a straight fork that is for a Firebird. My Malibu came with the bent fork that was needed to clear the floor but when I swapped in a Pontiac 400 I used a straight one and just persuaded the floor up with a sledgehammer. When I built the Bonnewagon I used the Malibu "Z" bar, pedals, and linkage, and a BOP bellhousing I got at a swap meet. Turns out it was for a Pontiac OHC6, very rare! But the straight fork then fit with plenty of room. I did need to acquire the very tall fork stud that 6 cylinder cars use since they usually use a flat finger diaphram pressure plate. Even my bent finger diaphram needed the tall stud. The geometry worked out very well and my pedal effort is minimal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
mebe007 said:
Lol you souls feel lazy. Jon the Macho left leg club lol

I meant I was lazy using a hydraulic set up but it's a heavy pedal with the centerforce clutch... :)

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Wow predictive text on the phone sure screwed up my words in that post gp

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
Got everything apart this afternoon. Boy what a mess.

First off the repop clutch fork is total junk and couldn't handle the pressure plate apparently.

The spring clip isn't as stiff as oem either

Secondly I'm guessing this didn't help the throwout bearing lol

mebe007

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2007
newport news, viginia
So you can see where this caused things to get hot

Aftermarket fork seemed to chew up ball stud

Synchros appear fine to me

Oil came out of the transmission looking nasty black and metal in it. Guessing this could be attributed to being a new build with new sliders and grinding reverse fighting clutch adjustment everything seems tight in the transmission 2nd gear seems to move a little on the shaft when engaged not sure if it's normal

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Are you sure you had the fork in place and the throw our bearing sitting properly on the fork? I have not seen one beat up like that. I am using just a stock fork with a Center force pressure plate that will hold 1,000 hp supposedly so it's not easy to push their fingers and the fork is doing fine. What's the streak marks from the bolt holes on the flywheel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor