My other shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
I thought some of you might be interested in one of my ongoing non-car projects. It’s the office area/secondary work area in my shop. It all started a couple of years ago when I restored my Granddads old forge and kind of took on a life of it’s own after that.

I grew up on a small family farm in the Midwest and the majority of the tools are from when my Granddad was farming it back in the 1920-30’s. Neither my brother or sister had shown any interest in “the rusty old junk” my dad had saved from those days, so a little bit at a time I eventually moved it all out to Arizona with me. As I would get it out here I would restore it and try to find a place for it. Eventually my office area got pretty much turned into a 1930’s farm shop.

What I have pretty well represents what was used to maintain and build equipment during that era.

Zshopren1.jpg

Zshopren2.jpg

Zshopren3.jpg

In case you are wondering I actually do use the area and equipment. The anvil, grinder and vice are pretty handy for fabricating repair panels and were actually used for some jobs when I was building my El Camino. The old post drill actually works better for drilling large holes and using hole saws than my modern drill press in the main shop due to it’s low speed.

The last big thing I resorted was this old Waterloo Boy hit and miss engine of my dads.

m2.jpg

Of course that has led directly into one last (?) major project. After watching the little engine sit around and turn money into noise I decided I would really like to see it do some work. I’ve decided to add a line shaft to the shop so the engine can power the grinder, post drill, compressor and a small generator.

LineShaft2.jpg

lineShaft1a.jpg

Zshop1.jpg

At this point I have just about everything to get it installed and will probably get started on that in the next week or two.

ZLineshaft.jpg

So anyway that is pretty much what I do when I get tired of working on cars. All in all it’s a pretty nice place to sit and have a beer at the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That is beyond cool. Old tools/equipment have always fascinated me. I listened to my dad and uncles talking about their grandpa's equipment that they used when they were kids. Can you imagine a group of 8-10 year old boys using a sawmill with an exposed 48" rip blade being belt-driven by on old steel-wheel tractor? Man, they'd take your kids away for even suggesting that now :lol: . Sadly most of the old stuff from the farm is long gone. The house is still in the family but most of the outbuildings have been torn down. My brother and I do share his 8N tractor though. Last summer my nephew got to mow the field behind my brothers house making 5 generations to use that tractor. The older I get the more I appreciate that stuff. You're fortunate that your dad save all that for you. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
“…..Sadly most of the old stuff from the farm is long gone. The house is still in the family but most of the outbuildings have been torn down.......”

Yeah, same here. The original farm has now been split up and all the out buildings are gone. The original farm house still stands (much renovated
from when it was built in the 1860s) but it is no longer in the family. I feel fortunate to have what I have.

I have grandkids of my own now and I love being able to share this stuff with them and my great nieces and nephews…….I find it’s as fascinating to them as it was to me at that age.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is simply amazing that you have all of that history to work with. It's astonishing to see the results of the ingenuity and perseverance of men and women of those generations. The craftsmanship and devotion that went into the desk and other pieces of times gone by is clearly evident. You are rebuilding and adding your own ingenuity to keep the machine useful and that is truly paying homage to your ancestors. I like the old days much better than these days but without this medium I would have never seen these pictures. Thank you very much for sharing it with us.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Very cool collection of life long equipment you have there . I love old machinery/tools, something that works just as good today as it did 70 years ago, lets see a modern tool do that :mrgreen: .

Nov 4, 2012
That is really cool. My granddad was a handyman so he used to have a ton of old tools and machinery, but like everyone else here, they are all pretty much gone. All we have left really are handtools, which must be a hundred years old, and I still use them to this day. Anyway, really cool project, can't wait to see it when it's up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor