My s10 project, ya thats right i said s10

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlass4dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2009
As some of you know ive had my s10 for about 4 years now, over those 4 years ive contemplated putting a fuel injected small block in it, ive contemplated putting a ls-series in it, ive even went as far as thinking maybe i'll buy a honda and just make this a track only truck.I even posted a for sale add last fall. But this year i decided to do somthing about it, so i spent the better part of my income tax return on some parts, Im hoping this year it'll bring back the excitement.
First was tires
235/60/16 and 295/50/16 combo
2011-03-22_14-07-49_772.jpg

then came a CAI
2011-03-26_11-12-04_374.jpg

then the ricer side of me kicked and i tinted my tails
2011-03-30_11-12-30_455.jpg

pick up seemed to improve but i was wanting more, so i did a tune up bought all new parts put them on and found it a little more enjoyable to drive.
then i figured if it can suck in the air its gotta get out somewhere
2011-04-13_14-38-09_928.jpg

then i bought some more ignition stuff
2011-04-13_15-13-39_976.jpg

And then i said ok time to make a decision. upon all my research for sbc swaps and ls swaps, i couldnt find the answers i was looking for so i decided to keep the 4.3 and do somthing about it
I bought a power adder
2011-04-13_14-58-15_387.jpg

2011-04-13_14-58-29_618.jpg

2011-04-13_14-58-43_35.jpg

that is a wynjammer supercharger good for 6psi the way it sits. Just need to figure out my pcm tuning and maybe goto the bigger injectors. just waiting for the money to roll in. Other s10 guys run 6psi on stock injectors so i may try that for a little bit.

TL,DR notes
Bought tires, tune, tinted tails, igntion parts, headers and a supercharger. should be a good summer

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Cool project; One of those Spike Tv shows (Musclecar, I think) did an LS swap into a blazer a few weeks back. Looks like a tight fit if you ended up going that route.

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
That unit runs 5 PSI.
Myself and Mr Martian made that kit come to life.
You can't change your injectors, there poppet styled, non replaceable with any larger units.
You could add a marine intake that uses injectors that can be swapped out, but you also need tuning to make the injectors fire right.
They do have some nice cams that go into those 4.3's.
Don't listen to any *ss that advises a FMU to run more boost. You WILL have a multitude of tuning problems running a FMU.
Many guys have blown their 4.3's up using one and will never admit to it.
Vortec guys have a larger failure rate, ATI guys, well only one I know ever kept his running and didn't blow it into pieces. The Wynjammer was made with the premise in mind that the MAF and injectors had limits before it would run lean, hence the % psi limit. You could run 7 if you had a voltage increaser running the fuel pump. instead of 12-14 volts it puts out around 20 making the fuel pump run a little faster increasing the pressure a few lbs.
Before you install it, CHANGE the fuel filter!!! A clean filter will aid in making sure max pressure is at the regulator!!

I got just over 240 H.P. to the wheels before the stock injectors and MAF were at their max!!!

86cutlass4dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2009
NY87SS said:
That unit runs 5 PSI.
Myself and Mr Martian made that kit come to life.
You can't change your injectors, there poppet styled, non replaceable with any larger units.
You could add a marine intake that uses injectors that can be swapped out, but you also need tuning to make the injectors fire right.
They do have some nice cams that go into those 4.3's.
Don't listen to any *ss that advises a FMU to run more boost. You WILL have a multitude of tuning problems running a FMU.
Many guys have blown their 4.3's up using one and will never admit to it.
Vortec guys have a larger failure rate, ATI guys, well only one I know ever kept his running and didn't blow it into pieces. The Wynjammer was made with the premise in mind that the MAF and injectors had limits before it would run lean, hence the % psi limit. You could run 7 if you had a voltage increaser running the fuel pump. instead of 12-14 volts it puts out around 20 making the fuel pump run a little faster increasing the pressure a few lbs.
Before you install it, CHANGE the fuel filter!!! A clean filter will aid in making sure max pressure is at the regulator!!

I got just over 240 H.P. to the wheels before the stock injectors and MAF were at their max!!!

Not going to doubt you but Al has a set of poppet injectors now they push 36lbs of fuel, trust me ive done my research on this. Ive been researching these little kits for a long time. Mine has the 6lb pulley aswell.

86cutlass4dr

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 20, 2009
I bought mine as a rebuilt used kit, cost me just shy of 1050 to get it shipped here, New wouldve been 3400 before taxes. I just need to get it tuned locally since they guy couldnt send me his pcm.

NY87SS

Greasemonkey
Dec 14, 2008
Palmyra, NY
I'm going to be bluntly honest here.
That 36lbs per hour is complete bullshit.
IT CAN'T HAPPEN.
You'll see 21 lbs max running as is without a F*cking Mickeymouse unit ( FMU ).
And orifice can only push so much fluid through it before it begins to sputter/splatter at a X diameter.
The poppet injectors are rated at 19lbs and hour at a 80% duty cycle. 100% duty is around 21lbs and any more than 80 PSI the injectors will lock open and even then it might be at 24lbs and the sputter/splatter I stated will begin to happen.
The Wynjammer @ 5psi will push the stock system to 100% duty cycle and will run without any tune at all if you run a timing retard MSD type system. You will lean out beyond 5400 rpm's, I will guarantee it and you might just be hitting 6 PSI.
Your MAF CAN NOT SUPPORT in reading air flow beyond a 275 H.P. demand air flow, PERIOD.
You can go to the larger MAF, but tuning is not easily accomplished at all. The time and money spent on trying to push your stock styled system is not cost effective is the least compared to even a exotic V-8 swap. Proper tuning done on a dyno with a wideband will run in excess of $150 a hour and they will never get it right. The advancement of pressure done with a FMU will never be consistent with the actual needs of the engine it'll either have lean spots of very rich spots.

No to be blunt again and don't take this harshly.
Those S10 Planet and S10 Forums forced induction guys are so full of lies its not funny. Keyboard warriors is the thing that comes to mind.
ATI used to sell a kit through Mach Performance that used to claim the same type of numbers.
14 PSI and more, intercooled using a "special" built FMU designed, a Vette sized MAF and all kinds of other stuff, hell even a turbo kit.
Claims on the 4.3 where as high as 520 H.P. using the stock injector pack and again "special " tuning.
9 or 10 later were found out to have detonated there motors.

The only clean attempt ever attempted was a few guys trying to convert a edel 2114 intake that was machined to accept the correct type of injectors that can be changed out as needs dictate, but tuning again hampered it from ever happening. Al has even claimed many a time he was working to secure this ideal and it never happened. WHY? Simply, it isn't easy to completely rewrite the ECM chip to do this.Again not cost effective for the sale of a few hundred units or the back yarder that would easily time wise pay out well over $10K to have this service done. Even if the backyarder was completely savvy into this tuning, had the equipment needed etc, its still highly costly and time consuming!!!

You want a solid honest answer to this outside myself, Al, the S10 forums??

Go look at like LS-1 forums, 3800 forums and see what problems and hardships they fall into and they have injectors, not fixed sized orifices, that can be swapped out when they attempt 1 1/2-2 times the horsepower as stock!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor