Need help! Dying Dash in my GP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mofoyaknow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2014
Portland, OR
Steve,
I think it would open up a can of worms pulling the windshield. Besides, there's the always the chance that you can break it. However, with the windshield out, it would give you more access to areas that would not be accessible otherwise.

Yeah I agree..I did think about pulling it to, but I'm glad I waited..pulling dash this morning wish me luck..

mofoyaknow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2014
Portland, OR
yes pulling it out would make it much easier went from dark blue to black

Awesome ok I think I got this...I posted a question in another reply but in case it didn't get answered....how many bolts to pull the dash or I guess I mean are there any hidden bolts and well to sum it up what am I in for with a dash pull?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's a great video...and Brian is pretty knowledgeable about these cars.
A few things that Brian didn't mention was disconnecting the speedo cable, which involves removing the gauge cluster...and also the heater cable, which can probably remain connected. I guess the face plate assembly can be passed thru the dash. Aside from that, he was quite thorough explaining the procedure.
Don't forget to disconnect the battery before taking things apart.

If there's any problems that you encounter, do ask questions.

galeaiii

Master Mechanic
Aug 13, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I receiently swapped tht dash in my Monte with a GP dash. The dash was originally green, I changed that to grey. I used all SEM products and the end result was very nice. I started off by cleaning the dash twice as much as I felt was necessary because this was oneof those long dredded jobs that I didn't want to have to do agan. I recomend an adhision promoter.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
yep use bulldog promoter it the best i have found.as far as worrying about the paint / dye chipping if you do it properly you wont have to worry about that. when i reinstalled mine it didn't hurt the dye at all.

Reactions: 1 user

mofoyaknow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 21, 2014
Portland, OR
Thank you so much for the video, I was getting a bit discouraged and went on to another job because I couldnt find one last bolt or screw to remove the dash on the driver side somewhere, still cant find it so after watching the video Hopefully i should be able to find it rather quickly and get on with the damn thing! The video had an olds g body he said screws are in same place with all the g bodys, my Pontiac GP has a slightly different dash than the video so if anyone knows exactly what bolt im talking about by all means let me know!! Thank you again this site is awesome and has been a major throughout my project so far!

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm sure you found the two hex screws under the center speaker grille. How far did you get with the disassembly?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor