need help setting up air bags 79 malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

baginwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2008
utica mi 48317
hey guys just got back into the g bodys after selling my 3 i couldint live with out them

any links with info or picks or good guys to deal with for parts and info would help big time sense the only place i have found on the whole web that has any interest in this or info is here

so im doing a 79 malibu WAGON 4 speed car
stock 350 just a cruiser
all im looking to do is lay it down when i get to shows not anything else just pancake but i dont have to lay frame
here's my ?

to do a basic set up from what ive read i can run bags and no shocks???
am i abel to just replace koil springs and thats it or whats this im reading about CUPS???
do i need to replace the mounting spot that the koils ride in with these cups?? are they bolt in or weld in??

how much lower will i get in the rear by doing the 3" pipe trick on the frame??

what size tires can i run up to so i wont have bag problems meaning when i blow the bags its down as far as it will go with out more frame mods and not sitting on the tires causing it to not go as low as it could.

what size tank do i need??? i dont need to be super quick
what size compressor????

so what im understanding is the rear is simple just bags and notch frame 3" pipe and thats done inless i want lower or do i need to add those cups into the seats for the koil spring replacement to airbags

what do i do in the front i can run stock spindels for what i want??
add bags remove shocks CUPS needed here???

sorry if its scatterd just typing as thinking about what i need

i need a price from some one who deals with this stuff so any one feel free to shoot me a number ill need to put my order in next week so i can get rolling
[email protected]

once again thanks a ton guys i trust no one but you guys on this stuff

:?:

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
give it some time, i am sure somebody can get in here to help you out on this

bourbon

Master Mechanic
Aug 23, 2007
PA
you can do it a lot of different ways, you can just do bags and cups up front & bags and axle mounts in the back and not worry about too much, but it wont be that low, but lower than a 2" drop spring. i would bag it then figure out what wheels will fit. you should be able to do a 17, without cutting maybe even an 18, depending on the backspace and tire size. if you want to lay the xmember in the front you need arms and spindles, and it will lay like mine does in the signature. the back needs to be notched to get down lower, also you need to get adj arms for the back to move the axle back or it hits forward, you will need to cut the tubs out once you notch, not sure how the wagon's factory spring setup is mounted up top, but the coupes & sedans you need to do custom mounts then as well as a bridge. check out my build thread in this section and you will see the type of work involved in laying it out alot. the front on mine has art upper & lower arms and 2" djm s10 spindles and it lays the engine xmember hard, i dont have pics of that install because there isnt much to show.

once you figure out which way to go, i can get you the parts you need.

baginwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2008
utica mi 48317
not laying frame just setteling it down when parked mainley

some one told me to day that the 4 valve system will be a very bad ride compared to the 8 valve witch i dont understand why
i just want it to go up and down and not even fast

thanks guys

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i simply used cups and bags for front and rear, i lay bump stops front and rear and that is pretty damn low. here is a way to see what it will look like with out starting to cut the car up, pop all four springs out and set the car back down with no springs. i thought about notching mine to lay frame but i have blown 2 airlines in the past and once was while racing someone and i messed some stuff up a little, if i had notched it my car would have been pretty well f*cked. i am also trying to keep a performance minded suspension with thick sway cars and high performance shocks... i also have a weird theory on my cars and that is that i do not want to do too much to the car that i can not reverse if i change the direction of the car which i am known to do.... bags are really fun and very worth while if you do it all correctly. i am going to say you will spend 1200-1500 on a decent dual pump f-b-s-s set up which i would suggest. i suggest the f-b-s-s just because of the fact that each bag has its own air that cannot shift and if you have front and back only then when you corner the air will shift from one side to the other messing with the way the car handles. if it were me i would spend the money and get viair compressors, maybe a pair of 480s which can be had on ebay for resonable prices and i would absolutly use push lock fittings, i blew 200 bucks on compression fittings replacing them all the time, i finally bought all brass push lock fittings which set me back another 150 bucks but they are awesome and so easy to use! i used firestone bags simply because some one pointed out the fact that they have been making bags for semi trucks for years so they know what they are doing. slam bags are also known to be great and if i bought a all new kit again i think i would use them because they have internal bump stops which can sure help. as far as mounts, you can get s10 cups pretty cheap for front, the rears may be a little harder to find. i bought my rear bups off ebay for around 80 bucks but i had to trim 3 inches off of them in order to lay bumpstops. honestly you can make your own brackets pretty easily if you have the equipment to do it which at the time i did not. i run 17s on my car and i can clears 20s on back with 245/45/20 tires but the front rubs even with 17s but they also have a decent lip on them so i think a less off setted wheel may clear with little issues. oh, in my opinion 1/2 lines are way too big, i used it and i hate it, it drops way too fast and i think i could have been happy with the much cheaper 1/4 inch line but i listened to all the layitlow.com guys who are trying to hop the cars. if you have any questions i can help along with bourbon, he went the more extreme route and cut his up and his setup looks great!

baginwagon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2008
utica mi 48317
well all the info is great helping me make many choices
ive known sense day 1 i was not lookin to lay from sense i just want the bags to mainly do ther job when parked.
like i said just settele it down nothing extreme and i definitly dont want to get into notching the frame.
can any one post a pic of this cup thing were talking about so i have a better ideal on that.
i figured the bags just went right in where the springs did no big deal
i am good with my hands and cars so im not really worried about fabing just trying to understand before i start doing this even thou i have all winter lol

thanks
craig

bourbon

Master Mechanic
Aug 23, 2007
PA
baginwagon said:
well all the info is great helping me make many choices
ive known sense day 1 i was not lookin to lay from sense i just want the bags to mainly do ther job when parked.
like i said just settele it down nothing extreme and i definitly dont want to get into notching the frame.
can any one post a pic of this cup thing were talking about so i have a better ideal on that.
i figured the bags just went right in where the springs did no big deal
i am good with my hands and cars so im not really worried about fabing just trying to understand before i start doing this even thou i have all winter lol

thanks
craig

the cups just bolt onto the bags and into the spring location. below is a pic of a bag and cup setup. my bag prices are usualy cheaper than anywhere else I can work up a basic setup for you when i get some more time and let you know.

S-10FrontKitwith200PSISPSlamRE-6Bag.jpg

bourbon

Master Mechanic
Aug 23, 2007
PA
i can do $1299 for a compete setup, all high quality. this price includes shipping to your door, and the following:

front and rear vehicle specific brackets/cup these will bolt in with no modifications
slam re6 bags for the front
firestone 9000 bags for the bag, sleeve style works with the gbody rear setup
3/8" accuair manifold valve setup very easy to install best on the market
5 gallon black tank
viair 450 compressor
10 switch box
2 dual needle viair gauges with manel
all nickel plated puch to connect fittings
50' 1/8" lines for guages
60' 3/8" line for bags
pressure switch
80 amp relay
20' 8 awg power wire
5' 8 awg ground wire

i think i listed everything, but it is complete

accuair_banner_intro.gif

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
bourbon, what do you get for one of those manifolds? do you think 1 pump is enough? i started with one 450 and it wasnt cutting it for me.... maybe i am switch happy or something?? i added a 380 and now i am thinking i may sell the both of them and buy i pair of 480 pumps, have you used them before? i wanted to get some zenith airs but i have heard a ton of complaints about them and i would rather have a slower dependable compressor rather then one that i may have issues with. also, you are using relays? i kept burining them up so i switch to one of those big car audio relays that i had laying around and the thing never gave me issues. im asking because i am getting ready to start putting the car back together and i pretty well gutted everything when we lifted the body off the frame so i am starting fresh again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor