Need Ideas on How To Make My Olds Faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
It has either 2.14 or 2.29 gears. My math is a little off but it is one of those two.
If it came with an Olds 307 then it will have low numerical gears. Is the cars computer still functioning? I assume not since you have swapped the carb. Are you using a non computer controlled distributor? What is the Letter and number ID code cast into the cylinder heads? This will be on the top front corner of the drivers side head, just to the left of the #1 spark plug. And what are the casting numbers on the heads? This is located on top of the center two exhaust runners. Hopefully the heads aren't from a 403.
The Olds 350 engine may just be worn out.
You could probably benefit from a cam swap and cylinder head rebuild. Unless you can afford a full on rebuild.

Last edited:

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
I didn't even have to read the entire first paragraph. If you have a olds 350 of ANY year you've got tourqe! Hp is a different story. You can keep piling parts after parts onto your engine and you'll be knee deep before you know it and other cars are still walking all over you! Why? Youre dragging a dead rear end, simple. What you need to do is rebuild your rear end, as in change out the old ratio for a lower one like 3:73 etc. Your ratio right now is wayyy too high. IMO its the first and #1 mod any one should do to a stock g body looking for some umph.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You'll want to change the rear end ratio to something lower. The carrier you have will go down to a 3.08. Do you do alot of highway driving or mainly in the city.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
You'll want to change the rear end ratio to something lower. The carrier you have will go down to a 3.08. Do you do alot of highway driving or mainly in the city.

There are aftermarket ring and pinions for 2 series carriers that can go way lower than a 3.08. If he really wants to set his tires on fire id say he'd better go with a 3.42 or a 3.73. But id leave the 3.73 for the for a weekend driver but.... if your crazy enough a 4.10 will do it.:)

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Which Heads do you have on it? What's the compression ratio? What are the specs on the cam?

MegaOlds

Apprentice
May 20, 2014
They are 2.14 gears. This is a project car I want just for the street so I think 3.73 will be good. I will grab head info soon.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There are aftermarket ring and pinions for 2 series carriers that can go way lower than a 3.08. If he really wants to set his tires on fire id say he'd better go with a 3.42 or a 3.73. But id leave the 3.73 for the for a weekend driver but.... if your crazy enough a 4.10 will do it.:)

true but he has a 3 speed 350 transmission....with a 3 speed I wouldn't go any lower than a 3.08. and with 3.08 gears he shouldn't have any problems lighting up the tire

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
There are aftermarket ring and pinions for 2 series carriers that can go way lower than a 3.08. If he really wants to set his tires on fire id say he'd better go with a 3.42 or a 3.73. But id leave the 3.73 for the for a weekend driver but.... if your crazy enough a 4.10 will do it.
true but he has a 3 speed 350 transmission....with a 3 speed I wouldn't go any lower than a 3.08. and with 3.08 gears he shouldn't have any problems lighting up the tire

Yes indeed, im most likely going to pay a price as I too put a 3.73 in my 7.5...with a 3speed LOL. I havent gotten to street it yet, but lets see what happens. 3.08 is considered borderline high IMO but yes it'll suit a 3 speed better for street.

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
I have ran stock Olds 350's with 2.29 rear gears and could do burnouts all day. With a shift kit it would chirp loud going to second. This isn't all a gear issue. It could even be a transmission slippage issue.
My bet is the engine has some worn parts, timing chain/gears, valve seal is probably gone, distributor could have stuck weights or dead springs...Hopefully it doesn't still have the 307 exhaust manifolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor