Need To ReFinish 442 Rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fader

Greasemonkey
Apr 29, 2011
Eastern Nebraska
I just snagged a set of 5, 1985-1987 Cutlass 442 Stock Rims & Id like to Restore them to their or :roll: iginal glory…
The chrome is in reasonable shape on 4 out of the 5 but the gold is faded on all of them… Is it as easy as Id like to hope? Can I just sand down the areas with the gold paint, tape them off & respray gold paint??…Do I need a special type of paint to adhere to the chrome? Should I prime them first? Does anyone have the paint code/color for the 442 cutlass gold? Any input is appreciated…Im going for good Driver quality appearance…Thanks

dudeface

Master Mechanic
Aug 18, 2008
calgary alberta canada
I just got two 15" delta 88 chrome rallys and already stripped off all the paint (with laquer thinner) was real easy, basically the chrome is already kinda hazy there, so I think you could just degrease them real well and spray them. you might want to try an adhesion promoter ......duplex makes one for chrome n sh*t.

I am still considering the idea of repainting all the gold parts of my 442 rims with the same as my body color 79 burgandy metallic.......seen it on a 86 442 around calgary years ago, looked alright. any comments on that?

heres a link to some pics.......I will post one of the stripped rims soon as well

photos/thumbnails.php?album=339&page=2

peace

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
Fader said:
I just snagged a set of 5, 1985-1987 Cutlass 442 Stock Rims & Id like to Restore them to their or :roll: iginal glory…
The chrome is in reasonable shape on 4 out of the 5 but the gold is faded on all of them… Is it as easy as Id like to hope? Can I just sand down the areas with the gold paint, tape them off & respray gold paint??…Do I need a special type of paint to adhere to the chrome? Should I prime them first? Does anyone have the paint code/color for the 442 cutlass gold? Any input is appreciated…Im going for good Driver quality appearance…Thanks

X2
same here, doing the same project and need to know the paint code.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
triple that. I often wonder if maybe I could match up some parts store gold and try to brush it on rather than spray? I think it'd turn out decent with wet sanding and couple coats of clear.

Fader

Greasemonkey
Apr 29, 2011
Eastern Nebraska
Thanks…I refinished a set of Monte Carlo Checkerboard rims years ago & they are still holding up well…of course they have spent the last 5 years in storage… And I do like the idea of spraying the gold part of the rim body color in some cases if the color is right…In my case, I will probably have a set of aftermarket 17 or 18" rims at some point down the road…maybe some billet aluminum, so I'm happy just staying stock with these…I'm gonna look for the GM Document I ordered a copy of a while back, Its like a "go ahead" document for the gm plant to gear up to start building the 1985 Cutlass 442…its only 3 pages long but has some cool info on there; and maybe the "Secret" gold paaint code…

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor