New from France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thank you very much for posting those pics. As you said, the Euro lights are configured identically to the '78 lights.
What shape is your '78 wiring harness in?...although, the El Caminos are slightly different than wagons. The Elky harness has the marker lights incorporated in the harness, where as the wagon they're separate.
I'm wondering if the standard '78 harness will work with the European lenses? I'm thinking that they're identical. Hmmmm.

crowconcepts

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 29, 2008
georgia
The harness was in rough shape too. Someone had cut into it for a bad trailer wiring job. And the sockets were corroded badly. I will have to dig it out to look again. But modifying a newer harness just requires deleting one bulb and changing sockets. I think. It's been a few years since I switched my lights.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
crowconcepts said:
The harness was in rough shape too. Someone had cut into it for a bad trailer wiring job. And the sockets were corroded badly. I will have to dig it out to look again. But modifying a newer harness just requires deleting one bulb and changing sockets. I think. It's been a few years since I switched my lights.

I've yet to find a harness that hasn't been bastardized for trailer lighting. I think you're absolutely correct about deleting the one bulb and adding an additional 1156/57 type socket. New sockets should be easy enough to find at your local auto parts store.
It should be a "no brainer". Thanks again for all your pics and help... :D

80maroonbu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
its cool as hell that you are in France and love our old cars. Welcome. its getting harder and harder to find old cars here now. everyone wants to scrap them for extra cash these days. the new cars (i call them cookie cutter cars because they all look the same) are crap. great to have you here. i bet most of thr French people hate your big,gas guzzling,rude American car :D . and parking must be hell on you to find a big enough space. if you are anything like us, i bet it tickles you that people look at you and sneer. :rofl:
again, welcome. great to have you with us.

Hello,
Thank's you 80maroonbu.

If I understand your message, it's sad but true. Yes many poeple sneer . Sneer my car, Sneer when US Flag of my House and in more criticizes USA. :cry:
Ever the same Question: She Drinks How Many liters? :roll:
In the middle of the american cars in fance is not better. I meet poeple who drive with the American cars only Sunday, and dot no buy small parts (spark plug, belt,etc) in the USA, they only like muscle car or Oldtimer Cadillac, Lincoln, cars that makes money. It's really Sad!
I once said I'd like one day an Américan car or there was not *ss frech in...Olala, it was a disaster. :rofl:
That is why I am on an American forum, maybe have here understand my passion.

For Parking it's ok, I live in the countryside, in downtown I park or the there is room.

Too many French have Forgotten that American have the saved

God Bless America

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hi Sebastian,
I sent you a private message.

Jack

Longroof79 said:
Sebastian,
It looks like I would have to modify the taillight wiring on mine. What did the wiring on the black car look like?
I was thinking, on yours, the resoldering could also be when they modified the wiring for trailer lights. I have an extra USA taillight harness, but it had been "hacked up" for trailer lighting. (I can take a picture of it).
Maybe if I could get an idea of what color wires went to each different socket, it would be easier to figure out.
Hopefully, there wasn't any other modifications done further up the main wiring harness...probably not.
I just realized that your front side marker lights are now turnsignal indicators to comply with the French laws. How interesting.
Would your car still comply to the French laws with USA taillights?
Good night!

Hello jack,
No, my car is no longer to the french laws. :mrgreen:
I put License Plate 300cm X 150cm size usa, is no good in french.
I hanled the bulbs in rear fender for the marker light, is no good in french.
I handed the marker light was original location has side turnsignal.
and so on...

In France are two title for cars:
1) All cars less than thirty years = respect french laws for cars.
2) Oldtimer title for cars over thirty years and can drive with the american light (for example)
but you can have a car over thirty years with regular title and then must respect french laws cars.

For my wiring harnes a must certainly add two small sockets bulb if I saw.

if I forget to answer a question, please feel free to ask again.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
sebastian, I heard that France passed a law where every driver has to have a disposable breathalyser in the vehicle or they get fined.. Does the government there think everyone drives drunk?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
sebastian305 said:
Longroof79 said:
Would your car still comply to the French laws with USA taillights?
Good night!

Hello jack,
No, my car is no longer to the french laws. :mrgreen:
I put License Plate 300cm X 150cm size usa, is no good in french.
I hanled the bulbs in rear fender for the marker light, is no good in french.
I handed the marker light was original location has side turnsignal.
and so on...

In France are two title for cars:
1) All cars less than thirty years = respect french laws for cars.
2) Oldtimer title for cars over thirty years and can drive with the american light (for example)
but you can have a car over thirty years with regular title and then must respect french laws cars.

For my wiring harness a must certainly add two small sockets bulb if I saw.

if I forget to answer a question, please feel free to ask again.
Sebastian,
How will your car fit in with these rules? It's still under 30 yrs old. Will you still be able to comply with French laws. or is there a way around the law?
I'm very curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor