Olds 350 swap/ want AC to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

1984Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2012
Monroe Center, IL
Thanks! I thought it was that, but I wanted to make sure. But, how on earth do you take the darn plug out, to make it easier to work on?

Also, I have addressed the issue of the torque convertor, and a friend is putting together a vacuum switch that will only work in 4th gear, to lock it up. Once I get the A/C issue fixed, then I'm taking it to his house, so he can finish the trans!

Thanks,
John

1984Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2012
Monroe Center, IL
Thanks guys!

I got it working! Blows out ICE COLD now! I had to jump the socket in the shut off plug (on the dryer), to get the compressor spinning, and I filled it up with freon. I did add oil first.

Hopefully, it will keep working now! Thanks again for all the advice, and 'hand holding'!

John

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
1984Hurst/Olds said:
Thanks guys!

I got it working! Blows out ICE COLD now! I had to jump the socket in the shut off plug (on the dryer), to get the compressor spinning, and I filled it up with freon. I did add oil first.

Hopefully, it will keep working now! Thanks again for all the advice, and 'hand holding'!

John
May I ask what freon did you fill it with?

1984Hurst/Olds

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 16, 2012
Monroe Center, IL
You know it's going to have to be 134a. Don't know where you can even find R12 anymore. And, if you CAN find it, how many appendages you have to sacrifice to afford it!! I would rather put R12 in it, but don't even get me started on that whole scam, with Dow Chemical!!!!

I was experimenting with a R12 substitute, called EnviroSafe, but I didn't have much luck with it. I have it in my '77 Ford LTD, and it still works good, but I tried their R22 substitute for my house, and that was a costly mistake! Had to get the whole system vacuumed out, and replaced with the real thing. My coil (in the furnace) kept freezing up, even though I had the correct amount in the system. Once that was taken out, and the real stuff put back in, I had no problems anymore.

I remember I did have that stuff in my '87 Cutlass I sold last year, and it worked great in that car. Maybe I should order some more, and try it in this car? I could always just let this stuff out in the atmosphere, and watch fatty Al Gore have a stroke!

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor