Opinions! Chevy engines vs. Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeezySupreme

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
G-Body_Vet said:
Another plus for Olds is the plug location. Try changing SBC plugs with headers compared to an Olds with headers. If it weren't for SBC's, you'd never hear about burned plug wires!

:mrgreen: Glad someone said that i think my car has had about 4 different sets of spark plug wires.

MD13ailey

Master Mechanic
Aug 26, 2009
Columbia city, Oregob
Agreed on the plug wires. Unless you have angle plug heads then changin the plugs is just a pain. and as for the "torque monster" metallity, it really just seems like a poor excuse for not being able to turn some rpm. I'm all for the keeping an olds an olds and chevy in a chevy. But I have to say the chevy takes the cake all the way. Its cheaper more available turns more rpm and makes just as much and in many cases more power and torque then the olds. as for big blocks..... BBC is supreme and always will be. and the the sbc just has that very distinct kick *ss sound

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
I see no one mention that you can put bbo heads on a sbo block...that changes the game up in regards to sbc-sbo discussion imo.

Motor vs motor i don't think its a easy way to judge whats a beter motor, if we don't have sertion parameters to discuss. Think about how olds motors would be if parts were as cheap and available as chebby? (change the game huh?)

fly1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 5, 2011
This is wear this discussion get interesting cause how many of you Chevy guys are real Chevy guys and how many are just d*ck riding. Real Chevy guys know about the engine and how to buid it. The chevy D*ck riders just know they got a sbc with a big ole cam and it makes a rumputy rump sound. A real Chevy guy much like the average olds guy knows exactly what his engine has and why he has it. The Chevy has the aftermarket advantage. But I still say olds. I wonder how this topic would be back in the 60s or 70s

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Brick442 said:
One thing that I can't stand lately is how Olds guys are so friggin sensitive about the olds/chevy thing.

There's a good reason for that Brick; Every time a person rips out their Olds engine in favor of building a Chevy engine ( because they're cheaper to build AND there's way more parts available ), they are casting a vote the aftermarket is taking notice of. That vote is saying 'hey aftermarket, we don't want any of your Olds stuff, we want more Chevy stuff'. This makes it alot more difficult for someone who ( god forbid! ) wants to build an Olds to do so at a fair price and that would be competitive with a Chevy.

It's kinda hard for an Olds to be competitive with a Chevy ( speaking purely of afforable street type builds ) when you can't even get a decent set of heads for a small block where Chevy's you can get a set of brand new aluminum heads ( take your pic as to which ones...there's plenty to choose from! ) for dirt cheap, not to mention the cheaper than dirt and readily available Vortecs.

So yeah, I personally find it upsetting that people junk their Olds engines in favor of a Chubby, because it's just like telling the aftermarket 'stop making stuff for Old because we don't want them' but then that screws over the people who actually do want them.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Brick442 said:
One thing that I can't stand lately is how Olds guys are so friggin sensitive about the olds/chevy thing.

why call them sensitive? It's great they have that passion and if it wasn't for them someone who's 5 years old now might not have the opportunity to have an olds engine when he/she is ready to play.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Brick442 said:
Look at todays GM's . . . they put foreign motors in some of their cars.
And this makes u happy? Not me....it makes me sad...its a sign of the times. No pride in American made anything anymore by the Corporations that are slowly crushing our souls, our cultures and our middle class way of life. Thats why I have an Olds motor in my car. It represents a time in this country when we were on top of production, design, and quality.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Brick 442, wrote about 77 when GM started mixing different cars & engines from different divisions. Interesting was that GM was successfully sued for that by its unwary consumers who paid for a premium brand Buick Olds Pontiac Cadillac and then got short changed with a Chevy motor etc. Not that a Chevy motor is inferior, they all have different pros & cons it was about not getting what you paid for.

I don't see putting in an engine from another marque as sac-religious. Especially if it doesn't require a cutting torch and is in the spirit of the original if the original had a "spirit". What I mean is not in regards to a generic transportation vehicle but in regards to say a limited production performance version. Not from 77 or later and not before. But I do see the frustration of BOPCadillac fans whose cars are often thoughtlessly converted to a sometimes less ideal power plant only because the owner is oblivious or doesn't care about the spirit or never bothered to look at the pros and cons of different engine choice simply because he is on the bandwagon and blind to all others. Note I still feel "at the end of the day" its the owners car to do whatever he wants. But..

We recently had a similar discussion on here about a guy seemingly bragging about converting his GN to an older first generation sbc in his sale advertisement. I especially see the disappointment of "car guys" or fans if its a market value recognized special car such as an original LS6 454 Chevrolet Chevelle SS or Stage 1 455 Buick Grand Sport or even a GN 442 or MCSS. Putting in say a generic 265ci sbc in any of these because it was cheaper & I had it laying around is maybe seen as lazy or irresponsible. Its also beyond frugal as it probably cost him or lost him much more in the end.

Brick then writes about GM putting foreign motors in some of their cars. Heck GM even buys foreign cars and re badges them and sells them as a GM car and has found a way to get away with it without Hugh public notice alerts. I am surprised no one has sued GM for that.

PS Well said Bill

Dr. Rudy

Greasemonkey
Mar 19, 2011
Pennsylvania
I would just like to say that saying an olds engine doesnt spin as many RPM is kind of a bad excuse. The ls6 454 had solid lifers while the w30 455 had hydraulic lifters. Little things like that made a difference but a 455 can spin pretty darn fast if you have the guts to keep your foot in it. And more RPM isnt always more power, last I saw a second gen cummins redlined at 2800rpm from the factory. That might be a diesel, but stroke makes torque, and torque wins races.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Heavy Chevy all the way!!! Parts are easier to find and cheaper. The sbc motor can be built for some serious horsepower. My motor was dynoed at 514 hp at 6800 rpm's and 470 foot lbs if Tq. at 4000 rpm's. That's big block numbers.... Nothing against an olds 455 that's for sure....But I'd take the sbc any day..All in all, it's just preference 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor