Parts or project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Looks nice. If the frame is in good shape I would definately restore it or sell it to someone who can. No sense in destroying it. BTW what is an "aluminum front rebar"?

I think he means aluminum rad support

Actually guys, what I believe he's actually referring to is the front bumper inner reinforcement.

On some years, makes, and models you could have got one in aluminum to help offset increased weight added to the car in other options. (Power steering, windows, locks, etc). Unfortunately I haven't been able to make a distinction between which set of options on a car corresponds to having the aluminum reinforcement tho. Perhaps it was based on engine size or trim level?

I have an aluminum front inner bumper reinforcement (or "rebar" if you will) on the Juggernaut Cutlass.

You can also find aluminum rear ones as well if you're lucky, I'm still on the hunt for one.... Hint, hint!!
:)
Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I did mean the bumper, not core support. And I think the rear one is steel. I am close to getting my car painted, so I probably won't do anything on it soon. I told the guy painting my car that I bought it just for reference for the two-tone.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Regarding aluminum parts:

I would guess that it was a car-by-car decision. I would imagine, since I have seen references to "computer selected springs" on G bodies, that if a certain frt/rear weight ratio was calculated by the computer based on build data, the car's build would be altered to include aluminum components. Frt heavy cars would get rebars, hoods, or core supports (or some combination of them).

This is just a guess, but would IMO seem to account for the seemingly random use of aluminum pieces.

Reactions: 1 user

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Regarding aluminum parts:

I would guess that it was a car-by-car decision. I would imagine, since I have seen references to "computer selected springs" on G bodies, that if a certain frt/rear weight ratio was calculated by the computer based on build data, the car's build would be altered to include aluminum components. Frt heavy cars would get rebars, hoods, or core supports (or some combination of them).

This is just a guess, but would IMO seem to account for the seemingly random use of aluminum pieces.

I think you're probably right there. That seems to make the most sense and would be the most logical way of determining which cars received which aluminum components.

For example, if a car was only slightly overweight, it might only receive an aluminum core support, while others that were heavier yet might receive an aluminum hood or bumper reinforcement. Good call!

(Sorry for the thread jack, xcitabl).

gearhedjon

Apprentice
Dec 5, 2012
oak forest IL
My 81 Calias had an Aluminum hood and front and rear aluminum bumper supports. Yes you should save the Cutlass. It is a 442 and as far as I know, they quit growing on trees!!

Anyone know how many sunroof cars were built in 85? I heard there were just 3000 442s total in 85 , that seems low.

Alerch

Master Mechanic
Jul 15, 2013
Goose creek SC
I'd fix it. As everyone already said it looks to nice to part out. Throw a 455 in it and have a fun daily driver that's what I would do if it were mine.

gmparts

Greasemonkey
Jan 27, 2013
Restore it, not many built for the 85 model year. My 87 442 was in far worse shape and I am doing a frame off resto.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Anyone know how many sunroof cars were built in 85? I heard there were just 3000 442s total in 85 , that seems low.

not the answer you want ,But in the years I have been researching my car I believe that there were ..

3,000 - 1985 - 442

of those 1,100 had the t-top option

my guess sunroof cars ....very low numbers would not be surprised if it's under 200 ....t-tops were the thing to have back then,
maybe not the best choice...then again i sure my hair style was not either.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
That car should be saved, it's a very rare CF5 Sunroof optioned car.
Roughly 200-500 442's/Hursts per year got them.
In '87 501 Sunroof cars were made.
I know of a Gray '85 442 with a sunroof and an extremely rare claret vinyl interior... I am thinking of nabbing it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor