posi differential value & can i pull it & still tow car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fader

Greasemonkey
Apr 29, 2011
Eastern Nebraska
I was gonna pull the posi carrier out of my Regal tonight...Its the last thing I was gonna keep after parting the car out... It has the crappy gears (I forget exactly which ones, I have it wrote down) that came with the 3.8L...It does have the G80 Limited slip though...I don't have a specific need for the carrier, I was just gonna pull it before the junk Yard picked the car up to either keep or sell & it was a neat experience since I haven't done much with rear ends....

Here are my ?s...

1. Can I pull the carrier out & somehow keep the 2 axles/tires attached for the purpose of towing the vehicle away?

2. Is there any Real Value to a posi carrier with a crappy gear ratio?

Thanks for any responses!

maliburacinfreak

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2005
Evansville, IN
1. simple answer, NO. the c-clips hold the axles in. with the carrier removed, theres nowhere for the c-clips to go.

2. the posi would sell easily, the buyer could always change the ring and pinion for a better ratio. if the junkyard is picking the car up from your house, theyll probably just drag it up on a rollback anyway. id go ahead and pull the posi.

Fader

Greasemonkey
Apr 29, 2011
Eastern Nebraska
Thanks 4 your quick response.... I may get a trailer and tow it in myself, then I can wait until it's on the trailer to pull it...

This may be a different ? For a different thread.... Can I use the posi carrier I take out to add Posi to my 8.5" non posi in my 442???

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
If you have a welder, tack weld a piece of tubing in place of the carrier to hold the axles together.

anakputa

Master Mechanic
Nov 27, 2009
I do it all the time with mine with no problem..3.73 10 Bolt Posi. Just don't overload the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor