OLDS Possible olds 425 engine purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Judging by the photos alone, I'd say that engine hasn't been a runner in a good long time. You're buying it as a rebuildable core.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
One additional possibility is that if you can come up with a 455 block, you can use the 425 rotating assembly but get the advantage of the more "modern" 39* lifter bank angle. That opens up more cam options as well as better heads. It's said that you'd need to use B heads with the 45* block, but I can't personally verify that. The pushrod holes can be opened up to use later heads on earlier blocks. Aftermarket heads might be okay already, if you were to go that direction.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
If the 425 checks out, I'm good with staying with it. Even with fewer cam options, I'm sure there is a cam i'd be happy with. I'll have to do lots more research but it sounds like it is worth 200 bucks. If I end up getting it, I'll be looking for that flexplate.

If something gets fouled up or found when getting it machined, I like that I have the option to find a 455 block and use the rotating assembly.

I have some other projects to finish up before starting this build so I have time on my side.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
As said, $200 is a great price. Just pay attention to bearing clearance and quality machine work if it needs rebuilt. Cutlassefi, Mark Remmel can get nearly any grind in 45 degree.

Reactions: 1 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Good call. My machine shop did a great job with my last engine, but it was a 383 stroker. A common engine to machine. I'll chat with him. He may even have a lead in the flexplate.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I gave $250 for a good 425 crank alone and felt like I got a good deal, so yeah $200 for everything is a go in my books.

Cajun83HO

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2016
Louisiana
To make sure you know what you're getting, look at the casting number between water pump and intake, cross reference it. That will verify cam bank angle and lifter bore.
I do not let any olds big or small block get away. Getting scarce.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
Well, I'm ready to go get this. I will cross reference the casting number as advised. Good call! I think my goal for this engine will be somewhere around the 500 hp range.

B heads flow fairly well or will I need to get some porting done to make my 500 hp goal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor