CUTLASS Power seat

Steve S

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2022
1986 cutlass salon
The (6) six-way power seat (drivers' side) electric motor case (Plastic) cracked, the motor runs, but one gear came out.
Want new replacement motor, or manual (used) seat bracket.

maxi426

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2018
The plastic transmission housing is available thru various sources including GBodyParts.com

Steve S

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2022
The plastic transmission housing is available thru various sources including GBodyParts.com
Thanks for the information. will search it.
Again Thanks.
I didn't find it on GBodyParts.com. (I sent (contact us) then a request for this part) Looked on Amazon, again no luck.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006

Or

Reactions: 1 users

maxi426

Apprentice
Sep 20, 2018
Be sure to order the coupler that connects the motor to the transmission if you replace the housing. It's the other common failure point on the single motor seat tracks.

Reactions: 1 user

Highredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2021
If you are planning on ordering a new housing, dont order from Classic Industries. I ordered two housings from them and there is something wrong with their castings. I did order two from Captain Cadillac on Ebay and his worked fine. I understand that Captain fabricated his own molds for making the new housings while Classic's were not accurately copied in China as knock-offs from the Captains original cast housings. I have both front seats 6 way power in my Hurst and both of the oem seat transmissions blew up which necessitated finding new trans housings. I do have a nice rebuilt spare oem power seat motor if you still need one.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you are planning on ordering a new housing, dont order from Classic Industries. I ordered two housings from them and there is something wrong with their castings. I did order two from Captain Cadillac on Ebay and his worked fine. I understand that Captain fabricated his own molds for making the new housings while Classic's were not accurately copied in China as knock-offs from the Captains original cast housings. I have both front seats 6 way power in my Hurst and both of the oem seat transmissions blew up which necessitated finding new trans housings. I do have a nice rebuilt spare oem power seat motor if you still need one.
I don't know about who sells what, but I did hear that some slight machining may be necessary for the holes on the Chinesium versions. I have no experience in using the housings at all.

Highredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2021
I don't know about who sells what, but I did hear that some slight machining may be necessary for the holes on the Chinesium versions. I have no experience in using the housings at all.
yeah, there is a post that the 6 holes where drive cables come out need to opened up by a couple drill sizes. I did that to both of the Classic Ind. new cases and still did not line up properly, had to return them and got hit for restocking fees. The hardest part of the job is getting the bolts removed that hold the track to the floor. Prob have the seat all the way back and the bolts are covered by the track. Have to hope you have the seat in the up position to be able to get an open end wrench on the back ones. Be sure to remove the front bolts last. Its quite a job and for me it was x 2. Another b*tch was I had two spare transmissions in my parts inventory and both of them were cracked too. If you have the patience to do the rebuild get the one from Captain Cadillac on Ebay. If not, go back to the manual seat adjustment. I think I still have some of those. Alex

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
yeah, there is a post that the 6 holes where drive cables come out need to opened up by a couple drill sizes. I did that to both of the Classic Ind. new cases and still did not line up properly, had to return them and got hit for restocking fees. The hardest part of the job is getting the bolts removed that hold the track to the floor. Prob have the seat all the way back and the bolts are covered by the track. Have to hope you have the seat in the up position to be able to get an open end wrench on the back ones. Be sure to remove the front bolts last. Its quite a job and for me it was x 2. Another b*tch was I had two spare transmissions in my parts inventory and both of them were cracked too. If you have the patience to do the rebuild get the one from Captain Cadillac on Ebay. If not, go back to the manual seat adjustment. I think I still have some of those. Alex
On your recommendation, I bought a housing from Captain Cadillac from ebay. I don't need it right away, but it's good to have on the shelf, just in case.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I just bought one also, between my two Gbody's I have 4 power units installed.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor