powersteering pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

81iraqitaxi

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 22, 2013
ontario, canada
looking for a power steering pump for my 1981 chevy Malibu, or looking to see if anyone knows how to fix a blown one, its currently not working unless I rev the engine and even then it ins making a whining sound, is there anyway to fix it or is it shot?
thanks

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Is there a power steering fluid leak? Usually when the pump makes a whining sound, and you don't have much power assist, its an indication of fluid loss.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
I bought a rebuild kit for mine from advanced auto. Haven't tried it on the car yet, but it wasn't that bad to open up and rebuild with new seals. If you decide to do it just take your time pay attention and look at the diagram that should come with the kit.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I would make sure that you have fluid in there and that the lines arent kinked. Mine did something similiar to this when I didnt properly bleed it after putting in a new steering box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor