Put in Cigarette lighter, radio and glove box light go out

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
So I just got my 78 Malibu wagon, when I bought it this Saturday the radio and glove box light was working just fine. But i noticed the cigarette lighter was missing, come to find out it was in the glove box. I plugged the lighter in and the radio stopped working and the glove box light does not come one (Radio is 90's aftermarket). Everything else seems to work fine. I checked the cig lighter fuse and seems to be good. Is there another fuse to check? My fuse box is hard to tell what is what, looks faded. Any and all help is much appreciated. Thank you.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I would remove the radio to see what someone has done with the wiring when they installed the radio....

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I would remove the radio to see what someone has done with the wiring when they installed the radio....
Yea i planned on doing that later today when i get home from work. Is there a convenience fuse by any chance? I just cant tell what fuse is what since most of my fuse panel is faded. Thank you for the help.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Take a look at the radio fuse as well

fuse-box-jpg.52469

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
From the GM Manual:
Dead Radio - check RADIO, CTSY/CLK and INST PANEL fuses (also that they are the correct current)10A

Dead cigar lighter, glove box, under hood, trunk light, vanity lights - check CTSY-CLK fuse (also check for correct current rating) 20A

From personal experience: check that all fuses are correct for the position. I've had an instance where a fuse was good and caused no problems but it was the wrong fuse for that position.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 3 users

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks guys i really appreciate it

Reactions: 1 user

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
I had a similar problem, was a fuse that was burning when the old cigaret lighter was pushed in. I replaced the blown fuse and unplugged the hot wire to the socket. Haven't had any problems since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor