Put in Cigarette lighter, radio and glove box light go out

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
So the fuse CTSY/CLK was blown, im going to go buy a new one on my lunch break, hope that fix's it. But i did notice it was a 25 amp fuse, when the stock one is supposed to be a 20. Wouldn't a higher amp fuse be better? so my question is, should i buy a 20 or 25amp fuse?

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
If you disable the cig lighter, where do you plug your phone charger or 12V light extension cable into?

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
You need to think as fuses being the weak part of an electrical circuit. If the current gets too high because of a short, would you want your wires burning or the fuse popping?

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
You might also want to look at having an assortment of all different ratings. That way if something goes while tinkering on the project you have some on hand.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
It's always smart to carry extra fuses. You can buy a package of preselected fuses or mix and match your own set. Be aware there are two sizes of snap in plastic fuses plus the really old glass and ceramic tubular fuses.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
So the fuse CTSY/CLK was blown, im going to go buy a new one on my lunch break, hope that fix's it. But i did notice it was a 25 amp fuse, when the stock one is supposed to be a 20. Wouldn't a higher amp fuse be better? so my question is, should i buy a 20 or 25amp fuse?

make sure your fire insurance policy is up to date...

there was a reason the cigarette lighter was in the glove box and you should fix the wiring problem before it becomes a bigger problem

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You'll see by the diagram that the lighter and glove box light are on the same circuit with the interior lights. With just the lighter and glove box goes out due to the lighter the addition of the aftermarket radio would suggest that the wiring of the radio is incorrect.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
You'll see by the diagram that the lighter and glove box light are on the same circuit with the interior lights. With just the lighter and glove box goes out due to the lighter the addition of the aftermarket radio would suggest that the wiring of the radio is incorrect.

Yea i figured thats what it is. Ill probably just pull the radio out. I want to put some gauges where the radio goes anyways.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
It's always smart to carry extra fuses. You can buy a package of preselected fuses or mix and match your own set. Be aware there are two sizes of snap in plastic fuses plus the really old glass and ceramic tubular fuses.

I use to carry extra fuses with me all the time. But my other cars are much newer and never had a reason to carry extras. Ill for sure get the assortment of fuses at Autozone today after work and keep them in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor